Grief

Ship: Kaiba x Ashara

Type: Extreme Angst|Fluff

Requested By: No one

Plot: It takes place on Kaiba's birthday when Inpu breaks the news that Dhalia was killed. Kaiba leaves the dinner to go to his room when Ashara finds him crying.

a/n: This is my Au. Also, extra info. Dhalia was killed trying to save Femi and Lotus but Lotus still lost his wing. Also, if you want, do not read.
_______________________________

Kaiba POV:

I stared at the empty seat across from me. The small folded piece of paper sat there still. It had Dhalia's name written in a pretty font, her favorite font. I had that seat reserved just for her yet she still hasn't come. Come for what you ask? Why, my 100th birthday of course!

It is the first birthday I'll be spending with her since we departed when we were 6. I had personally sent out an invitation for her just because of the special occasion. I hope she got it.

Inpu had been talking for some time about what was happening in camp since I hadn't visited for a while but I had tuned him out while staring at Dhalia's seat. I felt a hand go on top of mine. I looked over to see Ashara looking at me with concern in his eyes. "Are you alright, Kaiba?" He spoke softly.

"Yes, I'm alright. I just...thought she would've come," I say, looking back at her empty chair.

"Thought who would've come, Kaiba?" Cal asked.

"Dhalia."

Cal tensed up a look of shock came onto his face. He looked over at Inpu who looked at him with the same look. "This would've been the first birthday we'd spend together since we were six years old. I personally sent out her invitation so she'd get it."

"Do...do you not know?" Inpu asked. The way he said that did not sound good. "Know what?" I asked in a deep voice with must've shocked some of the people at the table. "K-kaiba...Dhalia...she's...dead."

My heart stopped. "D-dead?"

"Mitch came by my house just almost a week ago and tried to kill my kids. Somehow, Dhalia got there and got impaled by his trident when he tried to throw it at Femi and Lotus. Lotus's wing came off so he only has one wing now. Then I fought Mitch which didn't end well and..." His voice became staticky and the noises around me started to fade. I felt my eyes droop down. Dhalia...dead?

Inpu stopped talking as I stood up from my seat. "Kaiba?" I heard Ashara ask. I stood there for a moment, not sure what to say. "I..." I cleared my throat. "If you will excuse me, I need a moment. Please enjoy the food. I will be back." I walked around my throne and headed into my palace.

3rd POV:

Kaiba stumbled up his stairs and into his bedroom. He stood at the top of his stairs, his knees almost buckling. His eyes almost closed. His figure, swaying. If you didn't know better, you'd say he's drunk. But he wasn't. His heart ached in pain. He stumbled over to his bed. His legs buckled and he grabbed the bedpost for support. His breath became heavy as he started to remember his recent times with Dhalia.

When they first met again after 10 years...

"Kaiba?"

"Dhalia?"

"Oh my god! What are you doing in camp oasis? You look different."

They both laughed.

Tears started to stream down his face.

When they got their first tattoo...

Dhalia gasped. "Oh my god, this looks good. And we got matching ones!" Dhalia said as she turned her ankle to get a better look at her tattoo.

"Yeah, I must say, it looks extravagant."

Kaiba's nails started to leave long scratch marks as he slid down the post.

When they had their first heart-to-heart...

Kaiba and Dhalia sat on her bed in her cabin with tears threatening to leave his eyes. "I'm...I'm afraid you're going to leave me again..."

"Of course not silly!" She said, ruffling his hair. "I would never leave you. Death is gonna have to come and pry me from your hands. What are we?" She said, nudging his shoulder. Kaiba wiped some of his tears and chuckled.

"For Lifers!"

"For Lifers!" They both shouted out. They both broke out into a laughing fit and fell back onto the bed.

The pain was too much for Kaiba and he finally fell to his knees. He wrapped his arms around himself and started sobbing uncontrollably. "Dhalia...you said you'd never leave me again. But death...took you from me...and now you're gone..."

"Please don't leave me..." He whispered.

A vision of her death suddenly plays in his mind.

Dhalia was pinned to the wall by Mitch's trident with Lotus's wing smushed behind her back. A look of sadness displayed on her face. The trident is suddenly pulled back and her body falls to the floor in two pieces. The blood, spilling out from her waist, surrounds her in a pool of blood. Dhalia softly gasps for air. She glances behind her to see the separated bottom half of her body near the wall. She looks back. She fights to stay awake. She struggles to ball her fists.

Her vision is becoming blurry as she looks up and sees two blurry figures fighting. She looks around her and sees Atlas unconscious on his bed and Lotus and Femi unconscious on top of each other near the fireplace.

She lays her head back onto the ground and waits for sleep to overtake her. "Kaiba..."

He sits there in shock as the vision ends. "Dhalia..."

More tears come down his face. He screams in agony and placed his head on the ground. A couple more minutes of his suffering go by. Kaiba suddenly felt two arms wrapped around him. He froze in place until he recognized the warmth. "Ashar-"

"It's alright, Kaiba. Let it all out," Ashara says in a hushed tone. Kaiba continues to cry as he is lifted into Ashara's lap. Kaiba buries his head into Ashara's chest. His claws bury into his shoulder but he didn't mind, he could barely feel the pain. He pulled Kaiba closer into him and held him close.

After a while, Kaiba eventually stopped crying. He cleaned himself up in the bathroom and washed away the rest of his tears. They both headed back downstairs to the table. Everyone sensed some sadness coming from him but didn't suspect anything happened.

Dhalia however, watched the whole thing. "I'll be back. Don't worry, Kaiba..."

Word Count: 1093