7

Ovidia lay in her bed, only half asleep before she heard the saddened wails from upstairs that had her struggling to untwist herself from her sheets and running up the steps. She followed the sound leading her to her Alpha's bedroom. She hesitated. Opening the door cautiously she saw him sweating in his bed, knuckles white as they clutched his sheets and tears mixing into his sweat, blending the two and turning his body sticky. She sat next to him, gently placing her hand on his arm. It sent a spark through her nerves, but she paid it no mind as she soothingly rubbed his bicep, one of her hands grasping his as she cooed soft words into his ear.

The sparks continued to sting everywhere their skin touched. It seemed hours had passed, and his sobs turned into snores. As she looked at him a single word floated throughout her mind. She barely whispered it before she fell into the spot next to him, too exhausted to stand.

When morning arrived, Cedric was the first to wake, recalling how his hellish dreams of the past suddenly stopped. He lifted his arm to rub his face only for it to be weighed down. He tilted his head down, looking at the blue-haired girl that lay against him. The sparks he felt...they shouldn't be possible. Second chance mates were rare enough to be considered myths.

Why was Ovidia even in his room? In his bed? Had...had he been crying in his sleep again?

Ovidia sat up, stretching her limbs and rubbing her eyes with her fists before opening them. She turned and looked at her Alpha muttering a chirpy good morning before her eyes widened and she turned to look up to his messy hair.

"What are you doing in my bed?" Cedric's voice wasn't harsh, it was questioning.

Ovidia stumbled on her words, "I heard you sobbing last night, and I came to check on you-"

He held his hand up, getting the point. "I appreciate the thought."

"But?" She added, hearing the pause in his voice.

Cedric shook his head. He leaned in before he caught himself. "Next time, just wake me up."

She nodded, saying she understood, she wished him good morning again before leaving his room to hers.

Day after day they would meet in random parts of the house and have awkward encounters. With each passing day tension grew. An accidental touch here, and accidental touch there. Bumping into each other, breath fanning against his neck. Cedric was going mad, losing his patience. Ovidia was finding her style in the new clothes she had gotten, and he took too much pleasure in it.

Today was one such day that he was irritable because she existed around him. "Hi, puppy."

His head snapped towards her, that name...

She sat beside him in the dining room, her cute little skirt rising above her thighs. And he lost it.

He grabbed her face in his warm, big hands and pulled her until their lips met. His left hand wandered from her hair down to her waist, gripping her closer until she was off of her seat and onto his leg. The sparks that he knew both of them felt were tenfold compared to the small touches that happened in passing. He muttered a single word that would change their lives, mate.

He pulled away, looking into her deep brown eyes, darker than coffee. "I'm sorry, I should have asked."

Ovidia shook her head and pulled him in again, kissing his soft lips and tangling her hands in his curly hair. What had gotten into her? She knew who she was now.