14

The training was deferred when the Alpha summoned them to his office, where each recounted the events from their perspective. This time, no one interrupted or spoke out of turn; they patiently waited to relay their accounts of the incident. After hearing them out, Alpha Cedric pondered deeply. He recognized it as an omen, yet discerning whether it was auspicious or ominous was the challenge. Ultimately, Cedric dismissed the General and the two guards, leaving only Ovidia and himself in the room.

"Is it true, you saw her rose petal gown?"

Ovidia nodded. How else could she have known that gown was so important? Cedric, Gilroy, Leon, and Louis were a mess of nerves when she spoke of that dress.

Cedric's love for Ovidia was strong, yet his love for Ashe remained. Letting go of the past, and Ashe, proved difficult. Once she had become his Luna, they shared a decade of marriage. Their history stretched back to childhood, with Ashe's father serving as the former Beta and Cedric's father as the Alpha, a stern ruler known for his fairness despite his cold demeanor.

Cedric's father had traveled to the Rogue's land, wanting to make a peace covenant. Instead, they slaughtered him and roasted his flesh over a fire. Sent his head to the front doorstep of their home. Cedric was seventeen at the time, having just found the mate bond with Ashe. They promised to avenge the old Alpha, to roast the mutts who killed his father. His guards had been too late to save him, most of them murdered upon their arrival.

Revenge seemed to be what fragmented the pack, bit by bit. If possible, Cedric would traverse back in time to alter the course of events. Plead with his father to stay. With a sigh, Cedric gazed at his mate, cherishing their current happiness, yearning for its permanence. Yet, Ashe's ominous prediction foretold that it was not meant going to last.

He rose from his desk and approached his mate, who was seated on the familiar couch. One she spent hours studying on. Gazing upon her, he gently swept the blue strands from her rounded face. Foregoing words, he leaned in and embraced her firmly, pressing her close to his chest as he sought solace in her sweet fragrance.

Both wolves knew that things weren't going to be calm for much longer