17

Another month passed and the two were in their office every day. Cedric no longer had stacks of unfinished paperwork. With Ovidia there he was no longer behind, and no longer held the stress of leading the pack alone.

"Tonight is the wolf's summer solstice, yes?" Ovidia looked over to her mate at his desk, reading glasses on as he held a letter in his hand. 

"Yes, dear. I've bought you a dress for this evening. It should be in our room now."

Her eyes gleamed with excitement. She rushed to their room and on their king-sized bed lay a beautiful emerald dress. Ovidia touched the silk dress, the straps were thin, and there was a slit that looked as if it would reach up to her hip. The emerald jewelry that Cedric had gotten her as a 'just because' gift a few months prior would match perfectly. He knew how much she loved dainty jewelry. 

Her heart warmed at how much he cared. It wasn't the gift that showed her that, but the fact that he was thinking of her as he got them for her.  She held the dress to her and looked into the mirror wall. She smelt Maggie and before Maggie could knock she called out, "Come in."

"That dress will look beautiful on you, Luna." 

"I've told you not to use my title, Mags." 

The two shared a smile, "I know, it's fun to tease you though."  Maggie held a more mischievous look while Ovidia couldn't help but smile wider.  Maggie rubbed her small belly bump as the two began to talk on their way to Maggie and Conon's room to gather Mags' things. They planned to get ready in Ovidia's room.

 Maggie sat at Ovidia's vanity as Ovidia curled the blonde's hair.  "Conon's been so busy lately."

Ovidia nodded, she'd noticed that too. "So has Cedric." She wondered if it was related.

Maggie sighed and started applying light makeup while her Luna finished up her hair. "I'll do your hair too, Viv." 

Ovidia smiled at her friend, "Thank you." 

They swapped places, Mags now curling Ovidia's blue hair as the Luna applied a full face of makeup. An hour later both women had their beautiful dresses on, ready to head outside where stringed fairy lights would cast a yellow glow on everyone's faces, despite it being late in the evening. They walked down the staircase and out to the front of the packhouse. There were many tables filled with bite-sized treats and glass bowls of colorful drinks. 

"Be careful tonight, little wolf."

Hearing Dario inside her head after so long startled Ovidia, though she kept her outward expression neutral. Dario retreated to the back of her mind just as quickly as he had entered. She sighed. She was glad to have heard from him yet worry grew on her brows at his warning. She decided that she would enjoy tonight with caution.

The heavyweight in her chest diminished as she made eye contact with her mate. Time slowed as he walked towards her in his dark green suit. A lopsided smile grew on his face as he took her in, the dress hugged her in all the right ways, her hair curled and half-up with strands around her round face.  Cedric took her hand into his, pulling her to him. Chest to chest. His face was in the crook of her neck as they swayed to the faint music of their hearts.  

They sighed into one another's skin, breathing in sync. "What's got you so nervous?" Ovidia could feel the pitter of his fastly beating heart. 

His smile grew wider though Cedric said nothing. He stepped back with his arm outstretching. "Come, let's get a snack."

Ovidia couldn't say no to small treats. They stopped at the foldable table with the mini sandwiches. She closed her eyes as she finished it in one bite, savoring the taste.

She turned back to face Cedric. She looked down at him on one knee with a small box in his hand. Her heart stopped beating and swam up into her throat. "Ovidia May," He started, opening the box to reveal a small emerald-studded silver ring.

"Will you join me in life, and become my luna, my wife, Mrs. Wolfe?"  Ovidia had tears running down her face as she nodded, "Yes!"

Cedric slipped the ring onto her finger. He too was crying as he stood and lifted her in his arms.  The pack clapped and cheered, some whistled, and some cried. Conon put his phone away as he looked at his mate with a knowing smirk.  Maggie looked at him with a grin of her own.