25 ~ The End

In the meantime, several weeks had passed since Link and I had defeated the Calamity. After we had taken another look at Hyrule Castle and I had briefly walked with him to the large entrance gate to the castle courtyard, I was ready to leave the castle; at least for now. Because there would be a lot of work to do in the next few weeks.

Not only would we have to restore the castle and repair everything, but we would have to rebuild the entire kingdom.
Even though the Malice might have spared a lot, the society was just not only exposed to a material damage, but much more to a psychological one.

Right now it would be my task to follow in the footsteps of the queen of Hyrule, because Hyrule no longer had a ruler for the time being; my mother had been dead for a long time and my father died in the eruption of the Calamity, as he was in the castle at the time.

I wondered if he might still be found. After all, the castle had collapsed and his body must still be there. It may sound disgusting, but even if he had been dead for weeks, I would like to be able to say goodbye to him one last time....

And not only my father died; countless soldiers died fighting the Guardians and monsters. Nor could the Champions be forgotten, for they too died in the service of the land. When I thought about it, my first act as queen of Hyrule should be a funeral service for the favors.

When I left the castle with Link, our path led us directly to Hateno Village. I myself didn't know where to go at all, since my former home lay in ruins before me, but Link had immediately put his hands on my shoulders and meant that I should come with him; to Hateno Village.

I hadn't been to his place much in the past, but when we got there, it felt like I had come home. Whether it was simply because I was exhausted or whether it was Link's general presence, I couldn't tell. But I knew that I was happy.

Together with him, I had then first sat down and done nothing. In fact, I just started crying because I couldn't believe that it was really over; that we could now live in peace.
Link had then gently stroked my back and held me in his arms. I was so glad to have him, he was like my support after my world had crumbled into a thousand shards.

But the most important thing for me was that he could remember: everything.
We had talked about it again in detail and he had revealed a lot to me.

He had told that he could not remember the last minutes on the Blatchery Plain, but I almost suspected that, since he did not really look receptive then either, nor was he. But he could remember the moment when he had woken up in the Shrine of Resurrection. It was like a permanent foreign control, against which he could only fight, so that it did not become worse. From the beginning he had been aware that something was wrong and he would have loved to tell me. But Ganon's dark power had affected him so much that he couldn't say certain things and some actions were unavoidable. Link had explained it in such a way that it was like a second person in him, which slowed him down even as the Link, which is now once, and led on other ways.

At first I didn't understand all this, but then it suddenly made sense. Because whenever Link's eyes turned red, he would have wanted to warn me, or rather the power of Ganon had decided that he shouldn't do what he was about to do. Sometimes he could fight against it, as for example when he had only shouted to me that I should run away and he was sorry; shortly before he mutated to a Malice monster.

Additionally, he had told me that things had gone a bit stupid overall. However, due to the fact that Ganon had control over him and only allowed certain actions, he was able to overhear everything I told Link. Not only that Ganon had heard our private conversations, but also knew the plan against the Calamity, which I had told Link. That's why the Calamity Ganon had been able to capture the Divine Beasts in the first place; it had been prepared for us to attack it and was able to defend against it purposefully.