Chapter eight: The Note

Cross rushed out of his class. Damn, he was hungry. He shoved past the bustling crowds and to his locker. He pulled it open, shoved his backpack inside, and went to grab his lunch. A shiny wrapper caught his eye. With further examination, he figured it was a Cadbury Chocolate Bar. His favorite kind. He immediately snatched it to rip it open before stopping. Wait. . . how did this get here? Did someone give it to me?

He looked in his locker to see a note and flowers. It was from. . . NIGHTMARE!? Nightmare had given him chocolate? How did he know. . ? He opened the note and read it.

"I hope you enjoy it. Can we talk after school?
The place where you found me, well, you know.
                                                            -NM"

Cross was shocked. Nightmare wanted to talk to him? Maybe it's about what happened this morning? He wouldn't want to talk about that, but. . . he. . . it's Nightmare. He wanted to hang out with Nightmare. . . for friendship reasons of course!! Nothing else, totally! Haha. . .

Anyways, he decided to eat the chocolate at lunch and go to the meetup later. He took one last look at the flowers. They're beautiful, but Cross preferred lilacs. He smiled gently and hurried off to lunch.

Cross entered the cafeteria, there were students everywhere. He scanned the busy room, hoping to find an empty table, he didn't exactly favor talking to others, not like he can. Much to his luck, he found one and planted himself on the seat, placing his lunchbox in front of him.

He took out some chips and ripped open the bag. He looked around the cafeteria, searching for someone. Nightmare. He found him hanging around his group. They were laughing and having fun picking on and scaring people who were passing by or trying to eat their food at nearby tables.He just stared at Nightmare, a small blush creeping up to his face as he watched him throw a clump of lasagna at a guy who was walking past the table. Damn, that was hot.

Nightmare turned and made eye contact with Cross, who immediately looked away. Nightmare wouldn't stop staring at him, though. Cross' face lit up purple again. He grabbed the chocolate bar and covered his mouth with it. He glanced over at Nightmare. He got the message and smiled at Cross. He then mouthed something that was all too clear to him. You're welcome.

Nightmare turned away and continued eating. Cross couldn't wait for the end of the day to come.

Later, Cross went around the school looking for Nightmare. He first found him crying at the back of the school, so that's where he was heading. He turned the corner, and there was Nightmare, slumped against the cold, brick wall. Cross walked over and squatted down beside him.

"Hello. . . Night"

Nightmare flinched and looked at Cross. "Oh, hey, Cross. I didn't hear you." Cross just smiled. He sat down and leaned against Nightmare, earning some blush from the both of them.

"Did you want to. . . talk?" Cross turned his body to Nightmare. He somewhat fell into his lap.

"It's about your injuries, Cross"

Cross froze. The one thing he didn't want to talk about, but expected. Cross sighed and pulled back. He slumped against the wall as well. He was no longer touching Nightmare, much to both of their disappointment. Cross shook his head and turned away.

". . . Please."

Cross sighed. "I don't have a good neighborhood." It hurt to lie to Nightmare, but he couldn't tell him. "I'm sorry. I need to go get my brother."

"Wait!"

But it was too late. Cross already ran off.

Cross had eventually caught up with Chara.

"You're late." Chara flicked his shoulder lightly.

Cross gestured towards his throat, indicating that he can't speak right now.

Chara nodded. "We better not be late."

They both walked in comfortable silence the whole way. When they finally got home, Cross went in first, silently using his hand to gesture to Chara to come in and that it's safe.

After they both had gone up to their shared room, Cross took out a piece of paper and wrote something down before showing it to Chara.

"How's Betty doing?"

Chara's eyes widened and his face had a violet and red hue. He looked up to shoot Cross a glare and found his older brother giving him a smug smirk.
"W-well! How's Nightmare, huh?"

"Night- Hey, how do you know about him!?"

"You mumble his name in your sleep."

"I-I do not!"

"Tell that to this video." He shoved his phone in Cross' face. It was a video of Cross gripping his pillow and mumbling Nightmare's name. Cross' face bursted in lavender.

"W-well, don't ignore this photo!" He shoved his phone in Chara's face. It was a page of a diary. Chara skimped over the first few words and immediately realized which page it was.

"You took a picture of my old diary!? That stuff is cringey!"

"It's also full of stuff about Betty. And how is it my fault you left it out in the open?" Cross had used a tone that was barely louder than a whisper, trying to preserve his voice.

"Ok, if I won't talk about Nightmare, you won't talk about Betty. Deal?"

Cross nodded, and the two brothers enjoyed the peaceful and blissful silence without their father calling for them.