Chapter twenty: Over The Phone (but different)

4396 words. words. TW XGaster, fighting, implied death and toxic relationship, abuse and blood

Nightmare couldn't sleep. One, because he didn't have Cross to hold. Two, because he was thinking about that kiss. His tendrils twitched, wanting to curl up against Cross. They grabbed a nearby pillow and gently squeezed it. It wasn't the same, but it satisfied them for now.

He let out a heavy sigh. He wished he could go with Cross and probably sleep at his house. He slid his arms around the pillow and squeezed it tighter. He grumbled and glared ahead of him. He looked at his phone. He knew he shouldn't disturb Cross, but. . .

He picked up the phone and called him. It rang for a bit and then someone picked up. It wasn't Cross.

"Heya, Nightmare. What do you need?"

Nightmare stopped. "Who. . ?"

"Cross' brother." The voice seemed tired.

"Oh! Where is he? Why didn't he pick up the phone?"

"Your boyfriend's asleep."

"Wha-! He's not my boyfriend!"

"Just wait. He will be."

Nightmare's face was covered in blush. "Why are you up?"

"I'm not sleepy." The sound of glass shattering echoed in the background.

"What was that?"

"I have to go!" He hung up.

"Wait-! Dammit. . ." He sighed and put down the phone. He turned to face the ceiling. What if they're in danger? He started twitching again. He was worried, but knew that he couldn't do anything about it.

"Ughh!" He felt like he could be doing something, anything! To help. He turned in bed. Wait. 'They're'? Since when did he start caring for Cross' brother? What the hell are you doing to me, Cross?

He sighed. I guess it's not a bad thing. . . He turned again. 'What if' questions filled his mind. He was anxious for their safety. A short 'ping' from his phone cut his thoughts off. Cross' number.

"Hey, Chara said that you called."

"O-oh yeah. I did. He said you were sleeping."

"He was playing around. He accidently broke a glass and I woke up."

Nightmare let out a sigh of relief. "Ah, so that's what it was about. Okay. Well, I called you because I couldn't sleep."

"And I can help you from all the way here, how?"

"I just need a conversation. It's easier than pretending my pillow is you."

"Sure. What do you want to talk about?"

Nightmare grinned. "I dunno, but us humans always manage to think of something."

"I'll make your death look like an accident."

"Pardon? Who said I was planning to be murdered?"

"Whoever's mouth those words came out of."

Nightmare shivered slightly. "Cross? Are you upset?"

He heard Cross take a deep breath. "I'm fine now. Sorry."

"Alright. . . Is your phone on speaker?"

He heard a 'yes' in the background. He assumed it was Chara.

"Yeah, it is."

"Can you turn it off?"

Chara asked why. "What, you want to flirt with my brother?" Nightmare heard the grin in Chara's voice.