Part 7: Small-ish Road to Recovery

Venra awoke a few days later to a strong smell to her nose. She winces, and opens her eyes. The room was bright, so it had to be almost noon. Over the course of the days she was there, she had many random, weird, and really scary dreams induced by her fever. Xue notes that Venra woke up many times calling out for her. But when she told Venra that, she didn't remember any of it. Of course, it was always on Venra's mind about her hometown and Childe, and so she had nightmares about them too, but when Xue asked, Venra didn't answer, and simply switched to another topic. Xue needed to know why Venra always skipped the topic, and so, she wanted to slowly ask her questions to fish the answer out of her. Of course, it was out of her own curiosity towards Venra, because her being a naturally mysterious person, who wouldn't want to learn about someone like that?

They departed hours later. Venra had to use Xue to balance herself while walking down the stairs. It was known later that one of her toes was also broken, which had to also be treated later on. Venra winced in pain, while Xue also held some medicine in a pouch for the both of them. Qiqi was so nice as to gather some herbs for the both of them so they could use them as medicine.

"You doing okay Venra, need to sit down?"

'N-no, I'm fine. Thank you though."

Venra was also a very...stubborn girl. As like her inner child, she wouldn't take "no" as an answer. And it took several tries from Xue to finally get her to sit down after a while of walking. They couldn't leave the town quite yet, since they were still recovering. Xue took it upon her to also teach Venra about the adepti, and more about Liyue itself.

"So wait, you're saying that those...cranes and that deer thing were...adepti? And they're like...super powerful? I thought that the only really powerful people were the archons..."

"Well, the adepti helped Morax form Liyue. Such as Moon Carver, and so on and so forth. They all had their purpose in making this land."

"Oh my gosh...so you're saying when we were walking here we were like...stepping on old ancient adeptus-made ground?!"

Venra had a look of astonishment on her face. She couldn't believe what she was hearing, and hearing it from Xue made it all the more awe-inspiring. Xue grinned.

"So I'm assuming you came from Mondstadt, yes?"

"Uh yeah...born and raised there."

"That's cool, since I've never been there myself! Maybe you can give me a tour once you're recovered!"

Venra hesitated for a few seconds, and then answered.

"I don't think that would be a...great idea..."

"Why not? Have something against your hometown?"

"It's not that I, specifically, have a grudge...they do."

Xue thought about her answer for a bit.

A grudge? When? Why? She's so confusing...

Venra flipped her hair slightly and looked off into the distance, and then points in a direction.

"Home is in that direction. I guess we can head over there soon..."

"H-huh?! N-no, we don't have to, I-"

"You asked. We're going."

Xue's red face was now illuminated by the sun, and so was Venra's. Xue carefully examined her eyes. It felt like there was some sort of fear, some sort of abandonment in her eyes whenever she mentioned the name "Home" or "Mondstadt." Xue was really good at reading people, but Venra was super hard. She knew that she was hiding something, but what could it be? Why was it that she didn't dare step inside her hometown? Why was it that she always wanted to stay near it at all times? Those were almost impossible to answer unless she knew Venra's true person. Who she wanted to be, and why she joined the Fatui.