10. back.and.forth

Las Vegas, Nevada

Taking a lethargic drag from his cigar, Adam Cole closed his eyes, letting the richness of the smoke invade his system, his eyes closed as he vaguely listened to his rambling right-hand man, Roderick Strong. Finally, he lifted a finger to silence him, and Strong's mouth immediately snapped shut. All of these lies spilling out of his mouth were giving him a headache.

"It is taking me six months – count it, gentlemen, six fucking months – to get rid of this fool, Gargano," Adam growled, his voice full of barely-restrained frustration. "I have gone through all of the best, Roderick, and no one's gotten the job done. And now you expect me to believe that this chick can do the job better than all of my men?" He leaned back and puffed his cigar again.

Swallowing his pride as well as his fear, Roderick Strong looked right at his boss. "I'm not messin' with you, Adam...she is the best of the best."

Adam observed Strong and the rest of his henchmen; Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly, and he smiled to himself. Adam Cole reveled in the smell of fear, especially when it benefited him. And why not, after he had toiled for so long in this God-forsaken town to be able to evoke this type of reaction in many. It told him he had their respect. Roddy Strong, his first recruit, definitely gave him his respect. The man was valuable to Cole, having proven to be the most loyal of all his subjects. But this entire farce regarding Johnny Gargano was beginning to irritate Cole. He had entrusted Strong with a simple task, but he was proving himself to be highly incompetent. Cole was angry, yes, but not angry enough to kill him. He wasn't going to face death, not this soon anyway. But this was his last chance to prove himself, and if he fucked it up, he could consider himself gone.

That was a promise.

Adam reclined in his leather chair and twirled the cigar between his fingers, his handsome face twisted with annoyance as he glared at Strong, as if inspecting a pesky insect. Finally, he said, "You do know what will happen if you fail me yet again, Roddy."

Roderick nodded. "Yes," he replied, his voice wavering a little. He could almost feel the guillotine coming down on his neck. "But I swear to you, Adam; this woman is unlike any other. I have seen her work, and she is unbelievable. Hell, I even brought her here. You will be impressed, I promise you."

Adam rolled his eyes, gesturing with one hand. "Fine. Show her to me, then. And I'd better be impressed."

Letting out a soft sigh of relief, Strong hastily made for the door and ushered the woman in. She entered the room silently, her face expressionless, her brown eyes steely and penetrating as she made her way towards Cole. All the men in the room stared at her, riveted. If Adam Cole ever had a type of woman, here she was. She was beautiful; tall, confident, walking with the elegance of a Nubian queen. Her long, dark hair cascaded down her back. Her physique was slender but muscled, revealing her physical strength. For a fleeting moment, Adam thought it a shame that such beauty should be wasted on such a bloody, violent profession. However, this only made her more appealing to him.

"Well, well," Adam purred, rising from his seat. "Roddy neglected to tell me just how lovely of a woman he had found."

The woman stayed silent, but her icy gaze did not waver. She stood still as he approached, then circled her slowly. His bright blue eyes traveled down her body; her full lips; her buxom breasts, long legs, nice round butt. She was physically flawless, very sexy, and Adam found himself thinking of other ways she could be...useful...to him.

Roderick, however, thought otherwise, knowing very well of his boss's less-than-chaste intentions. There was no doubt whatsoever that she was very attractive, but this woman was anything but an implement to satisfy carnal desires. She was cold-blooded and merciless, calculating and very, very good at killing people. He could safely say, though not out loud, that he was quite afraid of her, perhaps even more than he was of his boss.