26. Meeting of the Masterminds

Hunter Helmsley walked briskly along the quiet street, pulling his long gray coat tighter against his person to shield himself from the cold night air

Hunter Helmsley walked briskly along the quiet street, pulling his long gray coat tighter against his person to shield himself from the cold night air. His long legs carried him forwards with a purpose, and took a quick turn into a dark alley. His walking abruptly ceased as a chill swept through him, a chill which had nothing to do with the cold. He had spent three quarters of his natural life heightening his senses and reflexes, so it did not take long for him to realize that he was not alone.

Turning his head to the side, he called out into the darkness. "You're making a big mistake, trying to sneak up on me," he spoke in his usual calm baritone voice, bearing just a hint of menace. "I could snap your neck before you even reach me."

For several moments there was silence, then he heard the soft, almost ethereal chuckle that blended perfectly with the smoky breeze. A deep feminine voice followed.

"I'd love to see you try."

Hunter turned around fully, and watched as a tall, beautiful woman with exotic features emerged from the shadows, her hands tucked into a blood-red trench coat as she sauntered down the alley towards him.

"Put the gun away," she instructed lazily, gesturing at the hand that was still flexing inside his coat pocket, poised to strike. Her high heels clicked along the tarred road as she approached with the grace and poise of a ballerina. "The great Hunter Helmsley," her dark eyes twinkled as she deliberately emphasized each syllable, making his name sound more like a magical incantation. "In the flesh."

Hunter tilted his head up in recognition. "Lily," he said, sounding unimpressed. "Surely you didn't follow me halfway across New York for a formal introduction."

"Actually, this is just a status check. Nothing serious. I just felt we should do it face to face, for once," said Lily. "I'm checking if you've met your end of the bargain. You know; help eliminate a certain target in exchange for the information I was to procure for you? That was the deal we struck all those months ago, remember?"

"I remember clearly, and it's being handled. My associate is dealing with your girl as we speak." The Authority leader shrugged and rolled his eyes. "He's got a flair for the melodramatic, with the whole torture-first-kill-later thing," he told her, as though merely discussing a friend's bad habit, "But he'll dispose of her as soon as he gets bored with her. And with Reigns surely coming to her rescue - I know he'll find her - and that will be like killing two birds with one stone." Hunter looked down at Lily with mild curiosity. "Shame, letting her go to waste like that. I'm told she's quite the asset, Jasmine is."