Chapter 15

"We have seen signs. Good ones, fortunately," the doctor reported when I came to visit Ashley.

"That's, that's nice," I mumbled.

Ever since the Aubrey thing, I felt like shit cheating on Ashley. I had trouble knowing what to say, and my emotions had just gone away.

The doctors eyed me suspicously. "You seemed so upset the first time I saw you. What happened? Isn't Miss McCarty a friend of yours? Or was it girlfriend? I don't remember."

"She's my wife. Technically, she's a Mrs., and her last name is now Lynch. Anyways, what are the signs?"

"Well, she's moved her hand a bit the past few days, and the nurses claim they've seen her blink a couple times."

I nodded in response.

"But there's also some bad news," the doctor frowned.

Of course.

"It's almost been 14 days, and we cannot keep patients under our care after that. We are not sure if Mrs. Lynch will wake up, but you can hope."

"Thank you, doctor," I said.

As he walked away though, I swear I heard him mumble, "But I wouldn't count on it."

It's been 12 days since Ashley's been in the hospital. I've been worrying ever since, and my family has too, but they've sort of given hope already.

"Ross!" my mom exclaimed on the other end of the line. "You finally picked up!"

I had decided to start answering phone calls from my family, I could't block them out forever.

"You're still depressed, aren't you?" Mom's usually chirpy voice turned into a sad one.

"Yeah," I replied glumly.

"Honey, isn't it time to move on? I mean, they are only gonna let her live for two more days. You should find another girl."

The thought of Ashley being dead was unbearable.

"No, Mom," I snapped, "she's not gonna die. And I'm definitely not moving on. Bye." I tapped end call.

I felt bad for hanging up on Mom like that, but she needed to know that I wasn,t quitting.

I know what you're thinking. Bruh, like, you cheated on Ashley, so why not like, go run away with Aubrey and like, be with her forever?

Well, a few days ago, I thought about what happened. It came to my thoughts that Aubrey was really was just a stranger I had pity on and accidentally slept with. Sure, I like her, but I loved Ashley, even if it didn't seem like it.

I also thought I was going to figure her out, but I just wanted to erase that part of my life out completely, no matter how hard.

Ashley would never know about this whole Aubrey thing. I decided I would keep it a secret. And if I ever ran into Aubrey with Ashley, I would pretend like I had never even met her.

That sounded like a good plan.

Or so I thought so.

——

Ahhh! I'm so sorry for the lazy updates. I miss you guys, I'm not kidding.

I'm gonna be honest, writing used to be fun. And it still is, but just having someone expect me to write like every single day and update constantly is kind of stressing. I used to be so excited a while ago when I had just started this account about writing, and wanted to write every single day, every opportunity.

And if you guys have any ideas, please PM me them. I'll be more than happy to see them and will obviously give you credit.

I know this chapter is short and crappy, but I promise the next one will be good. I swear, I promise. Just remember that I'm a junior in high school.

Thanks to the people who keep reading the book and vote for it, you guys are the best.

Xoxo,

Lexi ❤️

P.S: I have a Twitter, if you have one too, comment it down below! I'll happily follow you! Mine's @lotsoflexilove.