Chapter 4

The next day I found myself waking up on Rydel's floor.

She was already at her makeup table, putting on some lipgloss. She saw me waking up.

"C'mon, Ash," she pulled on my arm.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Shh, it's a secret," she smiled.

We kept on walking for a few minutes when I realized something. "Rydel," I said, "I don't have any makeup on and my hair's literally a robin's nest."

She chuckled. "Don't worry, you look fine."

"How much longer?" I whined.

"Not too long, Miss five years old," she smirked. I glared at her.

After five minutes, Rydel stopped. "Close your eyes."

"Uh, okay . . ." I said hesitantly.

She lead me to somewhere sandy. The beach.

"Open them now," she instructed. I opened my eyes to the sound of people shouting, "Surprise!"

I looked around and saw the Lynch family, Ellington, some other people we knew, my parents, and my friends.

"Wh-what? What is all of this?" I asked.

"Did you seriously forget that today is your birthday?" Rydel laughs.

"Pftt, me? Forget my birthday? Never . . ." I laughed it off nervously.

Rydel raised an eyebrow and said, "Anyways, let's party!"

I hugged her. "Thank you for planning me an awesome beach birthday party."

"You're welcome."

There were lots of fun stuff and we ate the cake, but I noticed something seemed weird. Someone was missing.

"Delly," I whispered to Rydel, who was stuffing her mouth with the delicious cake Stormie made. I don't blame her. "Where's Ross?"

"I tried to reach him all night, and I called him several times today, but he didn't pick up," she explained with a face full of sympathy. "Sorry."

I nodded and Rocky shouted, "Present time!"

We headed to the table filled with presents. I opened them, and from Stormie and Mark, I got a new cool phone case, from Riker an R5 guitar pick necklace, which I already had, from Rydel I got lots of makeup things, from Rocky a shirt that says "I'm Rocky's best sloth!", from Ryland I got Beats, and from Ratliff I got new turquoise Converse. From my friends I got a bunch of different things. But the thing I got from Mom and Dad was the best.

"A puppy?!" I shouted, when I opened the box. They nodded.

It was the cutest puppy ever. A Golden Retriever.

"Thank you so so so so much!" I yelled.

They hugged me.

"What are you going to name it?" Riker asked.

"Hmm. How about Bella? Like Bella, my best friend. Since it is a girl," I replied.

Everyone agreed.

But then something ruined my day. After I opened my presents and we were playing beach volleyball, I saw something that caught my eye.

I looked towards my left and saw Ross and Laura holding hands, and walking along the beach.

That made me so mad. Doesn't he realize that he's not supposed to date other girls? I'm his fiancé, for Pete's sake!

"Ash! Catch the ball! What are you staring at?" Rydel yelled.

Then she saw what I was glaring at, and she started glaring. At the two, too. Then she started to march towards them.

"Delly, no! Don't say anything!" I pleaded, running after her.

She stood right in front if his face, and Ross noticed us for the first time.

"Oh, hi, Rydel. What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Ross! It's Ashley's birthday! We planned a surprise party for her, and you didn't pick up your damn phone for the whole night!" she shouted at him.

"Oh, sorry. But it doesn't matter, I was spending the night doing much more fun things with Laura here," he smirked.

I couldn't take it anymore.

"You shitty idiot! What a bitch! You know what, why don't you spend the rest of your life with your wonderful Laura Marano! Huh? Yeah, you should! And you also know what? I'm not marrying you! We are done! D-O-N-E! Oh wait, we were never dating in the first place. Why don't you give this to your slutty girlfriend!" I shouted as I threw the engagement ring at him. I stormed off, but not before I walked up to Laura and gave her a nice good punch in the face.

I grabbed Rydel's hand and marched to the others.

"She totally deserved that punch," she muttered. I nodded.

When we walked up to the others, we explained what happened. They were silent.

Then after a while of awkward silence, my mom said, "I'm sorry, Ashley. I should've never forced you to marry him."

Mark nodded. "We're sorry, too. Love always finds it way on its own. Not by force."

"I swear Ross will hear a mouthful from me," Stormie added.

"Let's go home now," I said.

We started to clean everything up. Then we left.

We all drove to the Lynch house. Then I remembered something.

"Guys," I gasped. "We left Bella at the beach."

----

"I see her!" I shouted. Then we all got out of the car and ran towards my puppy. I can't believe I almost lost her.

I was running towards her when someone stopped me. And guess who? Laura.

"Ahem. The dog is now mine," she declared.

"No, you fucking idiot. She's my birthday present," I snapped.

"Yeah, sure," she snorted. "What kind of owner leaves their dog at the beach all by itself?"

"I don't have time to mess with you, Laura," I glared.

Then I ran towards Bella, but Ross already had his hands on her. Where did he come from?

"Look, asshole," I glared at him. "I don't have time to mess with you either. So give me Bella right now or if you don't you will regret it for life."

"Oh, I'm so scared. Ashley is threatening me," he said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes.

"I warned you," I stated, and kicked him in the place a man should never be kicked, but he deserved it.

"Oomph!" he shouted, dropping Bella.

I caught her just in time.

I smirked at Ross and walked away to Rydel.

"I got her," I smiled.

We drove home and I was so glad I was living in my old house again.