Chapter 17

I'm pregnant

Those words struck me harder than a big bolt of lightning striking a tree.

"Shit," I muttered, running my fingers through my hair. The note dropped out of my hands, and I glared at it and kicked it out of the way, as if it had feelings and I was mad at it. Which I sort of was.

"What is it," Ashley said, walking towards me. 

Looking at her from here, I felt even more guilty than ever. Both of us first never wanted to be married, but as time went on, I was the one who kept on cheating and doing un-husband like things. She mostly beared with it and watched me be horrible.

She spotted the note and picked it up. I watched her face turn ghostly white as her eyes moved along the paper. I sucked in my breath. This was it.

"Who's Aubrey?" she finally asked after a long moment of silence.

"Uh, well, you see," I was failing at this.

"You used my being in a coma as an advantage, didn't you?" she screamed. "So you could go and have  s-sex with a girl!" 

"No!" my eyes widened. "That's not it at all!"

"Well then what is it? Was it because I'm not pretty enough? Or I'm not a good wife?" Tears started streaming down her face. 

"It was an accident," I whispered.

"Sure, that's what they all say," Ashley rolled her eyes, but through her sarcasm, I could see a pained look.

"And of course, out of all times, it has to be now! Right after I come out of the hospital, when I don't remember anything or anyone!" This time she screamed at the ceiling, as if she was mad at someone up there. 

"I'm really sorry," I mumbled, reaching out towards her face. 

"No!" she yelled, slapping my hand away. "Get away from me, you pervert!" And with that she pushed past me and out the door.