Chapter 8

I stood there, not knowing what to do.

My mind replayed the stuff that had just happened. I decide to take a nap, Mom wakes me up because there's a huge fire, we escape, realize that Dad's still inside, Mom rushes inside to rescue him, the house collapses, and I become an orphan. Great. Not.

Stormie ran over to me and wrapped me in a big hug.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered.

Then Mark called 911 because even though the house collapsed, there's still a fire.

"You're definitely staying with us," Stormie said.

"Thanks," I weakly smiled.

We drove to the Lynch house. Then we had dinner, but everything reminded me of what happened earlier. I was eating with the Lynches because I had lost my parents.

As I was putting food in my mouth, sadness filled me and my eyes started to water.

"Excuse me," I muttered, and ran upstairs.

I crashed onto the extra bed Rydel had in her room, which was now mine. Now heavy tears were flowing.

Someone knocked on the door.

I just sniffled and tried to wipe away all the tears I could.

My jaw dropped when I saw who entered. Ross.

"What do you want?" I tried to ask in an angry tone, but my voice sounded like a frog.

"I just wanted to say sorry for what happened," he replied.

"Yeah, like you really mean it," I rolled my eyes.

"No, I'm serious. I'm deeply sorry."

I laughed because it was the first time I heard Ross say, "I'm deeply sorry." I had never imagined him to say that.

"What?" he raised an eyebrow.

"Nothing. Btw, where's Laura? You're always by her side," I crossed my arms.

"Laura called off the wedding and our relationship because she caught me kissing another girl," he looked down.

"Who was the girl?" I asked curiously.

"It was this random girl who I hooked up with at a party a long time ago. She somehow found me again, and she forced me to kiss her."

"Oh. Well, at least Laura's out of your life," I said.

"Yeah, I guess."

After a long moment of awkward silence, Ross said, "So, are you gonna get a divorce?"

"Well, I have to ask your parents," I replied.

"Oh."

"Why, were you looking forward to spending the rest of your life with me?" I jiggled my eyebrows.

"Uh, maybe," he scratched his neck. "I may sorta, um, have had a little crush on you since kindergarten."

What? Ross? Has a crush on me? Wow.

"Then why did you do all those things with Laura?" I asked.

"Well, after the kiss we shared, Laura thought we had a special connection. I played along with it, thinking it was a joke, but she thought it was serious. I made you jealous because I thought it was funny."

"It obviously wasn't," I crossed my arms. "And I have a boyfriend."

"What?" his jaw dropped.

"Why not? You had a girlfriend," I shrug.