same gig different place

At 33 years old Phil had accomplished more than most people would in an entire lifetime. He fell in love with his amazing wife, he graduated med school at 23, which is 3 years ahead of the majority who graduated at 26. He saved countless patients' lives and came very far in medical science. While he was unbelievably proud of his achievements, he felt something was missing. That empty feeling bothered him for so long, until one day Kristin seemed to figure out the problem.

"Well you care for your patients, you help them get better, but do you really feel as if you are caring about them, or are you caring about what they have?"

Phil wasn't really sure what Kristin was going to say but that wasn't what he was expecting. The words made perfect sense, but in some ways, they hurt. Was he not caring about his patients? Phil nodded his head and siged. The married couple started sharing ideas of what to do to fix said issue, and it was decided.

They lived about 30min away from a Long‑term care hospital for kids and teens, Phil called them up and explained he wanted to work with patients he could get to know and understand, instead of just knowing and understanding whatever illness was plaguing them. Before he knew it, he was off to work at a new hospital. Kristin dropped him off at the new place before she headed off to work herself.

'Sunrise Long‑term care hospital' Phil walked into his new work place with confidence and a slight bit of nervousness. He looked around the entrance of the building, it was still boring and so clean it hurt, but in some ways it felt more 'homey' then the regular hospital. He walked up to the front desk and was greeted by a kind looking woman, slightly older than him.

"Now we don't usually have patients coming here in that kind of get up, and they usually have duffel bags of their things, so I think it's safe to assume that you're our new doctor. Phil correct?" The woman's voice was soft, which definitely matched her looks.

"Oh, yes. I start today, even though I've worked at hospitals before, this is my first Long-term one. May I ask where I'm going?" The woman nodded, and pointed him in the right direction and gave him the key to his office along with a list of patients he would be starting with.

"Thank you for the help, I never caught your name by the way."

"I'm Puffy, well that's what everyone calls me. Just to let you know in this hospital there is a kind of 'grouping' that happens. Basically every person who comes here gets 'adopted' into a group. Some of the parents are skeptical of this system at first, but they quickly learn that it just lets the kids or teens have friends without having to know everybody in this hospital. It also makes it less bad for the whole place if a death occurs but we don't like talking about that part. Those on your list are teens who are all in the group called 'gamer girls' even though only one person in the group is even a girl. They decide their group, we give them a doctor. Good luck."

Phil gave a warm smile and walked away, he put everything in his office and made it to the first person's room on the list. Room 301. He took a deep breath, put on his signature smile, and opened the door.