31st Chapter : Moment

Nabila's POV : 

For me, every vacation is the perfect time to pursue my hobbies, and since I had one week before the next term starts at school, I decided to make a list of "Cakes I want to bake" this week.
I was in the kitchen, waiting for the cake to cool down so that I could cut it into pieces, when I decided to call Harry.
Harry was the " all time food taster" for my food, not exactly a good one, because instead of pointing out what's wrong with the food, he replies with a "tastes amazing" even when my cooking experiments go horribly wrong. 

"Hiiii! I baked another cake from my list and wanted to see if you wanna come." I said. My cheerful tone, however, died, as I heard his miserable one.
"Hey Nabi......"
"Haz, you okay?
"Yeah, I'm alright."
"No seriously, I can tell that something has happened. What is it?" 
"Umm.....you remember what day it is today?" 
"It's...umm...wait a minute, it's been a year-"
"Would've been mine and Kendall's anniversary, yeah."

We stayed in silence for a while, before I said, "You know what? I'm coming over."
"You really don't have to-"
"But I am," I almost cut the call, when he stopped me, "Nabi, wait!"
"What?"
"Bring your cake if you're coming over."
"Okayy!" I chuckled. 
"Wait!"
"Now what?" I asked. 
"Nothing. Just....Thank you."
"You're crazy." I rolled my eyes fondly.

---------

As soon as he took a piece of that cake, his facial expression changed drastically.
"Is it....that bad?" I asked, frightened. 
"Umm, no it's alright. It's good."
Raising an eyebrow at him, I picked a piece of that cake, and as soon as I took a bite, I had to drink an entire glass of water.

"What the hell?"
"Okay, it's a little bit salty."
"Definitely not a little bit," I grimaced.
"Don't be sad tho, it would have tested amazing if you just put sugar instead of salt." He pointed out, trying to console me.
"But how did I let this happen!" I thought for a while.
"Did your housekeeper help you or something?"
"No, but, wait a damn minute, I did tell her to fill the jars of salt and sugar. She put salt in the jar of sugar." I facepalmed, "Oh god!"

I raised an eyebrow when I looked up to find Harry smiling, "What's up?"
"Ready to prank our friends with this cake?" 
"Yes!!!" I said  grinning widely, and soon after, we're laughing without any proper reason. Our eyes met when his laughter suddenly dried out, and he just smiled sadly at me for a second, before lowering his gaze.
"Hey," I walked up to stand in front of him, "You okay?" I asked. He didn’t tell me anything since I came, and I didn’t push him, knowing he'd open up only when he feels like it.

"Honestly? I don't know. I almost forgot, you know, me being busy with studies and college applications. I just remembered it today while I turned the page in my calendar….and…..yeah." He shrugged. 
"You've been doing a lot better, Haz. Not everyday is the best, you know, but things keep getting better everyday, slowly but surely. I'm so proud of you."

"And I'm glad you're here. What would I do without you?" he smiled at me as I smiled back.
"I know, I'm amazing," I faked a boastful tone and he let out a laugh.
"Where's everyone else, by the way?"
"Mum's at work, and Gemma's at the University."
"Wait, so you're alone all day. Have you eaten anything?
"Not really, no."

I gasped.
"Seriously, I didn't feel like eating….. "
But I had already made my way towards the fridge.
"What are you doing?"
"Just checking if there's enough ingredients for me to cook pasta real quick.

He came closer and held my wrist. 
"You really don't have to. Nafisa told me you burnt your hand in the chemistry lab."
"It was last week, I am fine now," I said, with butterflies erupting in my stomach at his act. 
"I baked a cake earlier today, remember?"
As he still looked unconvinced, I added, "Besides, don't think you are just going to sit here while I cook. You will be the Remy in my hat."
"Do I look like a rat to you? "
"Now that you have mentioned it, yes. Honestly, the resemblance is uncanny." I quoted Chandler, and he burst out laughing at my expression. 

As his laughter filled the kitchen, I felt glad, knowing I made him laugh for the second time of the day.

They say mending a broken heart is not easy, only something as powerful as love can mend it, and at that moment, I was ready to give him all of my love just for him to be happy again.

-----------------