24

Saturday 09 January 2016

London

[POV MILES]

I warily reached for his hand to entwine our fingers. We were sitting in the backseat of his car, with Christopher at the wheel on the way to the train station. We had a quarrel. It broke out when we were loading our bags into the boot and I looked a woman over who was crossing our path and was fairly good-looking. She met my gaze with a flirtatious smile, I returned her gesture and when I turned to Alex, he was looking at me with disgust. What did he expect me to do? Be rude and not return a smile?

With the presence of his driver, who was unaware of our romantic relationship, I had to convince my boyfriend the encounter meant nothing. But Alex was jealous, even if he didn't want to admit it.

"Well, can't we just laugh and joke around? you're being all argumentative!"

He continued to cling to my hand with his gaze fixed towards the street.

"I'm in trouble, aren't I?" his voice cracked.

"Why?"

"Because it's no fair competition when the other party is a girl."

His words felt just like his nails scratching my back when we had sex, and even though I knew both of them came from his love, they hurt anyway.

"It's not fair because the other party is you, no one compares, you've already won whatever competition you think you're in," I uttered, brushing my lips against his earlobe.

Eventually his gaze met mine and he smiled at me. He moved in to place a kiss at the corner of my lips and to my astonishment, it turned into a proper one. Then he arranged his jacket and cleared his throat before warning Christopher to keep his mouth shut about us.

Alex took a breath and looked at me with a smile plastered on his perfect face, he continued.

"Mr. Kane is my partner and I expect your treatment of him to be as it is for me, plus you will also be at his service ..."

"You know I don't need a chauffeur ..." I interjected.

"... I say this because of your mother, we must bring her to London and Christopher could go and fetch her."

The idea of my mum in town visiting my house, going for walks, enjoying a few days with me sounded exciting. I loved that Alex was so considerate of her.

I appreciated the gesture by kissing his cheek.

"Mr. Turner, you can trust me, sir. Your secrets are my secrets."

"I know, Christopher, thank you."

[]

Hotel Le Royal Monceau Raffles - Paris, France

The train ride went quickly and smoothly. Alex fell asleep within minutes of leaving the city. He had arrived home late the night before, after a business dinner that had gone on longer than expected. He had not been able to rest properly during the week either, I knew how tired he was and was looking forward to this trip to relax from his hectic routine.

At the station "Gare du Nord", of course, another driver was waiting for us. It didn't take us long to get to the hotel. Every time I assumed a gauge of his wealth, Alex went on and did or said something to toss me back to the first square.

I knew the Turners owned hotels all over Europe but which ones, I had no idea. That was mostly because I didn't care to ask, ever since we started going out even a deserted island could feel like the most luxurious hotel room in Paris, so long as he was with me. On the other hand, whether I tried to learn or not, I was with him in his strange world and some facts just stuck with me.