28

Thursday 18 February 2016

Miles' Apartment - Bethnal Green

[POV ALEX]

I arrived at Miles' flat and found him in the bathroom, barefoot, dressed in a pair of jeans and buttoning up a colourful shirt.

"Miles, honey, good thing you're getting dressed! ..." He shot me a short glance before returning to his actions "...we're going on a date..." I announced, hugging him around the waist and resting my chin on his shoulder "...I've got movie tickets. Then, we could go to that bar you like, the one where they make fried chicken."

"You forgot, didn't you?" He asks in a neutral tone.

"What did I forget?"

"That I'm meeting Jamie and the boys...we're going to the tailor to try on suits for his wedding, I told you last week!"

I had completely forgotten about that appointment! Chaotic days passed between my work and Louise. I hadn't had time to spend quality time with him and I wanted to make up for it. Clearly, I had picked the wrong day.

"I could talk to my tailor and he will see you whenever you like, without any scheduled appointments".

His gaze rested on me through the reflection of the mirror, exuding anger. He set about rummaging through his drawers.

"Sorry..." I released my grip and pulled my hair back. "...You know I've been really busy and I really forgot, but I'd like to go out, it's been a while since we've done that."

"WHERE THE FUCK IS MY HAIR CLIPPERS, WHAT'S ALL THIS?"

Miles was not one to lose his patience easily, let alone raise his voice. So, his change in attitude took me by surprise.

"EYE CREAM, FACE CREAM, WRINKLE CREAM..." abruptly pulling all everything out of the drawer "...FACE EXFOLIANT, LIP EXFOLIANT, HOW MANY CREAMS DO YOU NEED FOR THE SAME AREA, ALEXANDER? MY GOD! IT'S ALL THE SAME SHIT! HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID TO SPEND SO MUCH MONEY ON THIS?"

"What's gotten into you? I can't have skin care, all of a sudden?" I defended myself with a frown and grabbed my precious products.

"LOOK AT THIS DRAWER, ALEX, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE MINE, WHERE'S MY STUFF? THESE ARE ALL YOURS. EVERYTHING HAS TO BE YOURS!"

"IT'S JUST A DRAWER! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?" I didn't intend to raise my voice, but his attitude annoyed me.

"I'M FED UP THAT EVERY TIME I LOOK FOR MY STUFF IT'S NOT WHERE I LEFT IT! THERE'S NO ROOM FOR ME! I MOVED TO A BIGGER HOUSE BECAUSE OF A SPACE ISSUE AND THERE'S STILL NO ROOM FOR ME!"

"YOU CAN'T FIND YOUR STUFF BECAUSE YOU'RE MESSY!"

"BUT I UNDERSTAND MY CLUTTER!" he continued to throw my products in the sink "...I TOLD YOU REPEATEDLY TO LEAVE THINGS WHERE THEY ARE, BUT NO, 'PATRICK BATEMAN' MUST HAVE EVERYTHING PERFECTLY LINED UP!"

"OH, FUCK OFF, MILES!"

"No, this is my house and you need to fuck off, take your stupid stuff and leave me alone!"

Miles left the drawer open and hurried out of the bathroom. I felt a bitter taste in my mouth. I took a towel and stretched it over the toilet lid, intending to wrap the products in it.

I left the task to return to him, as my restless thoughts would not allow me to carry out my actions calmly.

He was in the small adjoining room which he used as a dressing room.