32

Monday 14 March 2016

Hotel Corona D'Italia - Florence, Italy

We landed with James, Sarah and Matt after midday. I wanted to explore the architecture and art galleries, but we needed to rest. We had lunch at the hotel, where Sarah suggested we rest for a while so we could walk around in the afternoon before going to the location.

Back in our room, Matt and I were too anxious to sleep a wink. We opted to order ice cream and wolf it down on the couch.

"Am I going to be excluded from the reasons you fought with Alex or are you going to tell me what happened?" asked Matt.

"You're not being excluded..." I replied after lighting a cigarette to share.

"Since when are you lying to me? Tay didn't tell me anything, but I know something happened, because when she talks on the mobile with Lexa, she locks herself in the bathroom and when I ask about the rich kid, she flat out changes the subject. Should I ask him?"

I offered him the cigarette and he took a puff. It was better he heard it from me than from the chestnut.

"Promise me you won't get mad."

"I'm going to have to hit him, aren't I?"

"Promise me you won't get mad and you won't physically hurt Alex."

"I promise I won't take responsibility for my reaction," he retorts handing me back my cigarette and smearing some ice cream on the spoon.

"Matt..." I scolded him.

"Alright, I promise, is he cheating on you?"

I told him what had happened since the gala until the day Louise showed up at the office. To my amazement, Matt listened attentively, without interruption. When I finished my story, I waited patiently for him to say something.

"I always had a bad feeling about him..." he finally said "...but I didn't think he was that deranged...you're going to leave him, aren't you?"

I hadn't thought about how our bond would continue, however, not seeing him anymore was out of the question.

"Come on, Miles! You're too good for him! Why are you so infatuated?" He objected when I didn't answer his question.

"Because I have feelings..." I replied savouring the chocolate ice cream "...I can't make them disappear overnight, I'd love to, but I can't."

"It hurts at first, believe me, I know, but in time you will heal ... and I'll be right there with you to hold your hand through it, I don't want you to continue your relationship with him!"

"Matt ... I want a family."

"I know bro, I know you're one of the ultimate romantics, and you want the full combo, you're going to get it, I promise, the right one will come along, the one who respects you and doesn't hurt you."

"He's here..." I confessed, looking for his gaze.

"Alex? ..." he smirked. "... You're blinded by lust; you're not seeing that his soul isn't as good as his looks."

"Please, you think that's all I'm with him for? I know that maybe with you, he's more... reserved, but when we're alone, he's warm, funny, attentive and..."

"Exactly! ..." he interjected "...when you are alone, did you hear yourself? You need a man who doesn't hide his feelings by being ashamed of his homosexuality."