1

Friday 18 November 2016

Dawn indicates a new day - Brilliant! That's three days without sleep. I'm up, the cold shower wakes me up. The coffee I prepared gives me enough energy to get to work. My driver is waiting, he opens the car door for me. We drive into the chaos of the city. I look out the window at the passersby. I miss, feel, think. I think about how I almost introduced him to my father, even though he was against our relationship. I check the time on my watch: 07:39. Most likely, he is returning drunk to his dingy flat. I wonder how someone like me fell in love with someone like him, a man with no plan for the future. The thought vanishes when the car stops at my destination. The driver opens the door for me and I walk out, back to my duties. I enter the building in earnest as I do every morning. I cross the lobby to take the lift. Like beads on a string, ladies line up to wish me a good morning. I pay them no attention despite their efforts. Going up thirteen floors, I arrive at my office.

Alexa, my secretary, hands me today's schedule. She's dismissed shortly after. I lounge in my leather chair and put my feet up on the oak desk. I open the folder and toss it away after only reading the first few lines. I pick up the phone instead, and call him. No answer. I'll try again. A sleepy voice greets me, I'm surprised. I remain silent.

"Hello? Hello?!" he says several times

I ask where he's been. On the other end he sighs and replies "we're done".

He hangs up. A tear slides down my cheek as I clutch at the phone before hurling it across the room. This can't be happening! To someone like me? No! I cancel all my meetings, grab my keys and leave.

Miles has to listen to me.