31

Saturday 12 March 2016

Moth Club - Hackney, London

[POV MILES]

Not even half an hour had passed in the bar and Jamie was already completely drunk. Nick, beer in hand, was laughing at the situation. Matt, whose blood alcohol was no longer having any effect, was succumbing to his habit of flirting with the local girls.

"Don't forget you're no longer available," I warned him as we returned to our table with more drinks.

"I'm just having fun! I've settled down!" he replied smiling "come on, man, it's just some harmless flirtation!" he added as he saw my disapproving glance.

I hoped he wouldn't be unfaithful again. His girlfriend was also my friend and I didn't want to be in the middle of a conflict between the two of them. My situation with Alex was enough.

It had been a long time since I had felt incomplete. We shared so much with Alex, that it felt strange not to have enjoyed that night with him. I had grown accustomed to his complicit glance between the people around us, the weight of his hand resting on my thigh, or the fleeting, chaste kisses.

I opted to fade the thought of the memories together, as I should not be bitter on such a special night.

As I was reaching for my second glass of beer, I noticed Orson arriving at the club. As was characteristic of him, he greeted everyone with a hug and congratulated Jamie on his wedding. Following him, Tom arrived and after accepting the drink Nick presented him with, he took his place next to me.

"You look good," he said, standing very close because of the loud music.

In response, I smiled at him. He then looked towards the group, as if he was looking for someone.

"Where's your posh boyfriend?" he asked, turning his gaze back to me.

I took a sip of my drink and informed him that Alex wouldn't be joining us for the night. He widened his smile.

"It seems my wishes are coming true," he replied, smiling.

"You don't know him well enough to dislike him."

"Nor do I need to, I can already tell from afar that a guy like that doesn't deserve you."

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't talk about my boyfriend like that."

"Why isn't your boyfriend at the bachelor party of one of your best friends?"

His question made me uncomfortable and he noticed.

"Hey, sorry..." he apologised, patting my knee. "...I'm just kidding, I'm sorry if you're taking a break."

Despite the festive atmosphere, between Tom and I we weren't comfortable. We spent a few minutes drinking, without a word.

"Matt told me you are releasing new songs soon" he said taking off his leather jacket "I told you you'd make it, you're a songwriter extraordinaire".

"Thanks...I wouldn't have made it without the guys though" I replied, giving him a smile.

"Do you have an estimated date?"

"April, probably between the first and second week," I replied, comfortable with talking about the album.

Tom smiled at me and invited me to clink our beer glasses together. I gave in to his invitation and we drank.

"How are you? What about your music?" I asked.

He was being nice and I shouldn't push him away because of the brief affair we had had.