Chapter 5 - Stars Align

They stood in the middle of the gathering of Narnians as night fell. A mixture of centaurs, minotaurs, dwarfs, and other creatures stood staggered about on the hill, Caspian and Idalla glancing at each other as the shouts and insults got louder.

"Liars!"

"Telmarines!"

"Murderers!"

"All this horn proves is that they've stolen yet another thing from us," Nikabrik spoke up.

"We didn't steal anything," he told him.

"Liar!" they shouted.

"Didn't steal anything?" someone else asked, making them turn. "Shall we list the things the Telmarines have taken?"

"Our homes!"

"Our lands!"

"Our freedom!"

"Our villages!"

"Our lives!"

"What a small group of men did does not mean they speak for all their people. We had no part in any of that," Idalla tried.

"You stole Narnia!"

"You would hold us accountable for all the crimes of our people?"

"Accountable," Nikabrik walked closer to him, "and punishable."

"Ha!" Reepicheep let out, drawing his sword as he came closer. "That is rich coming from you, dwarf. Or have you forgotten that it was your people who fought alongside the White Witch?"

"And I'd gladly do it again if it would rid us of these barbarians."

"Then it's lucky that it is not in your power to bring her back," Trufflehunter told him. "Or are you suggesting that we ask this boy to go against Aslan now?" More shouts ensued.

"Alright," Idalla spoke up. "Maybe our people did some atrocious things to yours. Maybe the claims you're all making are true. The Telmarines did steal your homes, force you into hiding, changed your lives forever. But we aren't the only group in your history to hurt you. The White Witch. How many Narnians fought on her side? How many wars did Narnians conduct on themselves? We know your history. We've studied it. Not one of our peoples is innocent. Does that mean every single one of us should have the burdens of our ancestor's mistakes placed on us alone? We all are different. We all have our own stories and pasts, but none of us are defined by what our people have done."

"Some of you may have forgotten," Trufflehunter spoke again, "but we badgers remember well. That Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was king and a daughter of Eve was queen."

"They're Telmarines!" Nikabrik let out. "Why would we want them as our king and queen?'

"Because we can help you," Caspian said, quieting the mixed shouts of opinions. "Beyond these woods, I am a prince. The Telmarine throne is rightfully mine. Help me claim it and I can bring peace between us. No one has studied your history and customs like my sister. No one can unite our kingdoms better than all of us."

"It is true," Glenstorm, the centaur from earlier, spoke. "The time is ripe. I watch the skies. For it is mine to watch as it is yours to remember, badger. Tarva, the lord of victor, and Alambil, the lady of peace, have come together in the high heavens. And now here, a son of Adam and a daughter of Eve have come forth... To offer us back our freedom."

"Is this possible?" a squirrel asked from up in a nearby tree. "Do you really think there could be peace? Do you? I mean, really?"

"Two days ago, I didn't believe in the existence of talking animals or dwarves or centaurs. Yet here you are. In strength and numbers that we Telmarines could never have imagined. Whether this horn is magic or not, it brought us together. And together, we have a chance to take back what is ours."

"If you will lead us," Glenstorm told him, "then my sons and I," he pulled out his sword and presented it, "offer you our swords." The animals and creatures around them pulled out their weapons, raising them up. Caspian and Idalla turned around, taking in the sight, their hands finding each other, squeezing tightly.

"And we offer you our lives unreservedly," Reepicheep bowed.

"Miraz's army will not be far behind us, sires," Trufflehunter told them.

"If we are to be ready for them, we need to hurry to find soldiers and weapons," Caspian told them. "I'm sure they will be here soon," he said gravely.

"Then we'll be ready," Idalla assured them. "Together." Glenstorm bowed his head, Reepicheep and Trufflehunter following, the rest doing the same. Nikabrik was the last, sighing before his head lowered too. Caspian and Idalla let out sighs of relief, glancing at each other before looking back at the creatures around them.