Chapter 14 - Going Home

"I wonder how many Telmarines are going to leave tomorrow," Idalla sighed as she and Edmund sat in her room.

"I don't know. But with them leaving, hopefully the peace will be stronger since the ones who stay are at least open to the ideas of living with the Narnians."

"I guess," she sighed, the room silent. "Speaking of leaving... When are you?" she mustered up the courage to ask.

"I don't know," he admitted, standing from the chair he had been sitting on at her desk and walking to where she sat on the bed, kneeling on the ground and taking her hand. "But I promise it won't be any time soon." She smiled, his hand coming to her cheek and pulling her down to kiss him. "Besides," he muttered between kisses, "we... have... so much... left to do... together." He slowly stood up, keeping their lips connected as he pushed her down onto the bed, kicking off his boots.

"Oh really?" she asked, pulling away slightly to look into his eyes. "Like what?"

"Let me show you," he smirked, blowing out the candle at her bedside before reconnecting their lips.

***

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man," Caspian addressed the crowd as they gathered at the edge of the town overlooking the cliffs below. "Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."

"It's been generations since we left Telmar," a man in the crowd said.

"We're not talking about Telmar," Idalla told him.

"Your ancestors were seafaring brigands," Aslan spoke up. "Pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens," he said, making them all look at where the Pevensies stood slightly to the side. "It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start." The crowd looked around each other before one many spoke.

"I will go." They all turned to see Glozelle. "I will accept the offer." Caspian nodded and he walked forward, nodding back.

"So will we," Prunaprismia spoke up as she held her son, Scythley stepping forward with her.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good," Aslan told them before breathing gently on them. They all turned as the tree at the edge started to twist before revealing a hole in the center. They all started to walk through before Prunaprismia stopped at Caspian and Idalla.

"You will make a fine king and queen," she told them. They smiled at her and Idalla gave her a hug before kissing her cousin on the forehead as Caspian put a gentle hand on him. She gave them one last smile before following Glozelle and Scythley through the tree. The crowd gasped as they suddenly disappeared.

"Where did they go?"

"They killed them!" the crowd started to murmur.

"How do we know he is not leading us to our death?" one man shouted over the rest.

"Sire," Reepicheep spoke from Aslan's right, "if my example can be of any service, I will take eleven mice through with no delay." Aslan looked at him before looking at the Pevensies.

"We'll go," Peter stepped forwards.

"We will?" Edmund asked as Idalla froze.

"Come on. Our time's up," he told his siblings. "After all," he turned with a smile, looking at Caspian and Idalla, "we're not really needed here anymore." Peter held out his sword and Caspian took it.

"I will look after it until you return."

"I'm afraid that's just it," Susan spoke up. "We're not coming back."

"What?" Idalla let out.

"We're not?" Lucy asked at the same time.

"You two are," Peter looked at his youngest siblings. "At least, I think he means you two."

"But why?" Lucy asked Aslan. "Did they do something wrong?"

"Quite the opposite, dear one. But all things have their time." Edmund looked at Idalla. "Your brother and sister have learned what they can from this world. Now it's time for them to live in their own."

"It's alright, Lu," Peter told her. "It's not how I thought it would be, but it's alright. One day you'll see too. Come on," he took her hand. They walked over to Glenstorm, Trumpkin, Reepicheep, Aslan, and Cornelius and said their goodbyes. Caspian and Idalla were next. Peter and Idalla shook hands. "I'm glad we're leaving as friends," he told her.

"Me too." They smiled at each other before giving a quick hug, Lucy giving her a hug next. "See you soon?"

"I hope so." She smiled at the younger girl, glancing over at her brother as he and Susan said their goodbyes. She watched as Susan leant up and gave Caspian a kiss before hugging him. She gave Idalla a hug next as Peter and Lucy said goodbye to Caspian.

"I guess this is it," Idalla said sadly as Edmund took her hands in his.

"I promised-"

"It's okay," she told him, looking up from their hands. "It's okay." He bit his lip and nodded, leaning his forehead against hers.

"I love you, Princess Idalla."

"It's queen now, sire," she teased and he let out a pained chuckle.

"Yes, it is."

"I love you too, King Edmund."

"I told you, it's just Edmund." She smiled as tears came to her eyes and she cupped his cheek as he did the same with both of his hands, pulling their lips together as tears fell down each of their faces. They stayed that way as long as they could until they knew it was time for him to go. She sniffed as they pulled away, one of his hands remaining in hers. The Pevensies looked out over Narnia before stepping through the tree, Edmund and Idalla holding on to each other as long as possible, both letting out a shuddering breath as their fingertips left each other. Idalla closed her eyes as tears continued to fall, other Telmarines coming forwards and walking through the tree. Caspian grabbed Idalla's hand as the procession continued, pulling her away from the tree and into a hug. She cried harder as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Don't worry, dear one," Aslan spoke, making her turn from her brother's stomach. "Your story is not over. The one with and without him. It's only just beginning."

Thank you all for reading this book! I have loved Edmund as a character since I was little and watched these movies. I am so glad that I got to bring this story to life and I'm very happy with the way it turned out and I hope you liked it. It might be a while, but stayed tuned for news about the next part of Idalla's story!