Chapter 8 - Matter of Time

"It's only a matter of time," Peter said as they stood around the Stone Table, Lucy sitting on it. Susan stood by her, Edmund sitting across the room from Idalla who stood by her brother. "Miraz's men and war machines are on their way," he said, which had been confirmed a few minutes ago by a fawn on watch. "That means those same men aren't protecting his castle."

"What do you propose we do, your majesty?" Reepicheep asked.

"We need to start planning for-"

"We need to get ready for it," Caspian spoke at the same time as Peter, making the two look at each other. They stared at each other for a second before Caspian looked away.

"Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us," Peter continued.

"But that's crazy," Caspian told him. "No one has taken that castle."

"There's always a first time."

"We'll have the element of surprise," Trumpkin spoke up.

"But we have the advantage here."

"If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely," Susan said, stepping forwards to stand beside Caspian.

"I, for one, feel safer underground," Trufflehunter announced.

"That's because it is. Going into the castle is a bad idea," Idalla said.

"Look," Peter looked at Caspian and Idalla, "I appreciate what you've done here, but this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb."

"Yes. And if they're smart, the Telmarines will just wait and starve us out," Edmund said from where he sat, Idalla's eyes connecting with his. He moved his head back a bit at the look she gave him, one mixed with confusion and anger.

"We could collect nuts!" a squirrel offered.

"Yes! And throw them at the Telmarines," Reepicheep said in mock excitement. "Shut up." He turned back to Peter. "I think you know where I stand, sire." The room was quiet as Peter turned to Glenstorm.

"If I get your troops in, can you handle the guards?" They all waited for his answer. His eyes connected with Capsian's and then Idalla's before looking at Peter.

"Or die trying, my liege."

"That's what I'm worried about," Lucy spoke, making them all turn to her.

"Sorry?" Peter asked.

"Well, you're all acting like there's only two options. Dying here or dying there."

"I'm not sure you've really been listening, Lu."

"No, you're not listening. Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?"

"I think we've waited for Aslan long enough," he told her.

***

"How could you say that in there?" Idalla asked Edmund as they all walked out of the meeting, going to get ready for the invasion.

"It's the truth."

"There are provisions here-"

"Not enough to last a lifetime."

"Enough for us until we come up with a better plan."

"Storming the castle is the best idea we have right now."

"Exactly. Right now."

"Most of the soldiers are at the river, preparing to meet us here. The castle is unprotected."

"It's never unprotected. My uncle may not be a benevolent ruler, but he isn't a stupid one. There will still be forces there-"

"Few enough that we will be able to take them out."

"You're not listening to me!" her chest heaved as he stared at her. "This is a bad idea. It will only cost unnecessary lives and for what gain? To prove we exist? They already know that. This has no tactical advantage or-"

"Of course it does! Proving that we're strong and able to fight back will-"

"Will what? Make them surrender? You know that won't happen. You're doing this because your egos are high and you don't believe you can lose," she spat out. "I, for one, need a better reasoning for that."

"You're going because I am King."

She chuckled dryly, giving a small nod. "I misjudged you." She started to walk away before turning back to him. "And in case you didn't remember, And just so you know, you are not my king. And to those here, you're the king who abandoned the Narnians. How long do you think it'll take for them to abandon you?" He stayed silent as she stared him down. "And you are not my king."

***

"You don't have to go," Caspian told her as they put on armor.

"I'm not letting you go in there alone," she said as she picked up her dagger and placed it in its sheath on her belt

"I won't be alone."

She stopped moving and stared at him. "We learned together, we escaped together, we fight together."

"Queen Susan and Lucy are staying here. Maybe you sho-"

"I am not Queen Susan or Lucy. They're doing their job, I'm doing mine. And as stupid as I think this plan is, I'm not leaving my people," she glanced at the Narnians preparing around them, "to fight on their own." She tied her small pouch filled with the powder poison she had made from the local plants. "What?" she asked as she saw her brother staring at her.

"You are growing into quite the young woman."

"No. I'm finding my purpose."