Chapter 9 - Unheeded Warning

They waited outside of the castle for Edmund's signal, circling the air on the backs of gryphons while the rest of the army waited at the edge of the woods. They saw the beams from Edmund's flashlight and they flew closer. Peter, Caspian, and Idalla glanced at each other before the gryphons flew farther down, Caspian drawing his sword and knocking one of the soldiers off of the tower. They flew closer to the tower Edmund stood on as they saw a soldier standing there, aiming his bow at the king. Susan's arrow hit the soldier first and Peter took out the other one with them as they landed, Caspian and Idalla behind them.

"This way," Caspian led them to the tower over the professor's room and they dropped a rope, Caspian climbing down first with Peter behind him. The girls looked over the side as Caspian knocked on the window. "Profesor?" he asked quietly, opening the window as Peter landed on the window sill. Idalla went down next, entering the room with Trumpkin and Susan behind her. She and Caspian went through the room, stopping as they found his glasses sitting on the table.

"He wouldn't leave without them," she said quietly, looking up at her brother.

"We have to find him."

"You don't have time. You need to get the gate open," Peter reminded them.

"You wouldn't even be here without him. And neither would we." Peter looked over at his sister.

"You and I can deal with Miraz," she told him.

"I'll get to the gate. Caspian can find our professor."

"And I could still get to the gate in time," Caspian offered. Idalla nodded and Caspian started out of the room, Trumpkin and Idalla moving next.

"Do you know where it is?" Trumpkin asked her.

"Of course I do. I've lived here my entire life," she said, leading him to the door. She pushed it open and Trumpkin shot his arrow at the one remaining guard.

"Ah," Reepicheep said as he turned to them. "We were expecting someone, you know, taller. And royaler."

"You're one to talk."

"Is that supposed to be irony?" he asked him.

"Well, I'm royal too and this is who we've got," Idalla cut off any more conversation. Trumpkin walked inside, preparing to help Reepicheep. Idalla looked out the door, scanning the areas around them. "Something's wrong. Cas should've been here by now."

"Like you said, you're royal too. He'll be fine," Trumpkin told her.

"No," she shook her head. "I'll be right back," she told him before running off, closing the door behind her. She started to run through the castle, turning as she saw a figure running through a hall nearby. "Caspian," she called quietly, but he didn't hear her, continuing to run. She took off after him, losing him in the halls until she saw the door to a room cracked slightly open.

"Caspian?" Prunaprismia asked as she sat up in the bed.

"Stay where you are," he told her,

"What are you doing?"

"I'd like to know that too," Idalla said as she stepped in the room, her hand resting on her dagger as she saw Caspian with his sword at Miraz's throat.

"Idalla?" Prunaprismia asked.

"What are you doing here?" Caspian hissed at her without his eyes leaving his uncle.

"Looking for you. What are you doing?"

"I should think it's obvious, dear," Miraz spoke up. "You know, some families might consider this inappropriate behavior."