Chapter 11 - Elsa's Dream

Elsa woke with a start. She was sweating, and her heart was going a mile a minute.

I did it again...

There was a light rapping on her door. "Elsa?" she heard Anna call.

Elsa sat up, wrapping the blankets around her shoulders, not knowing what to do.

The door opened, and Anna peeked in. She immediately looked concerned. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I – I had a dream..." Elsa felt her eyes start to sting. "I had a dream I lost control again, and I froze the kingdom, and I... I hurt you, and Rapunzel, and all of you...." She buried her face in her hands and let out a quiet sob.

"Oh, Elsa." Anna slipped into the room and sat down on Elsa's bed, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "It was just a dream. You didn't actually do it. There's nothing to worry about, you're okay."

"I know," Elsa whispered. "It just felt so real."

Anna rubbed her back. "I'm okay, we're okay, I promise. It's never going to happen again."

Elsa shook her head. "We don't know that."

Anna started to protest, but just then there was another knock and Rapunzel opened the door. She caught sight of them and frowned. "Is everything okay?"

"Elsa had a bad dream," Anna replied.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Rapunzel sat down on the other side of the bed. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Elsa brushed the stray hair out of her face. "I was – I was standing on the balcony, over-looking the courtyard, and everyone in the kingdom was there, and you two, and Kristoff and Eugene, and Merida, and Olaf and Sven. You were all dancing and having a good time, and then all of a sudden, I froze the railing on the balcony, and then it spread to the whole castle and the castle walls and the ground. And then it started snowing, and everyone froze, and I ran through the castle and out into the courtyard and everyone was frozen, and there was nothing I could do about it." Her voice broke on the last sentence, and she buried her face in Anna's shoulder and started crying again.

Rapunzel stroked her hair soothingly. "It's alright, it was just a dream."

"I'm afraid it will happen again," Elsa said, her voice muffled. "I'm afraid I'll freeze the kingdom again and this time there will be nothing I can do to save it."

"But it won't happen again," Anna said. "Because you have so much better control over your powers now, and we know how to thaw the winter."

Elsa just shook her head.

"Well, we came to tell you breakfast was ready," Rapunzel said softly.

"You should come down and eat," Anna said. "It'll make you feel better."

Elsa sniffled and nodded. "Alright, just let me get dressed. I'll be down in a moment."

Anna and Rapunzel nodded and left the room.

Elsa stood and dressed herself in a lightweight blue dress, one of her favorites. Then she opened the doors to her balcony and stepped out, breathing deeply. The sun was shining, and there was a light breeze. She looked down at the courtyard below her, trying and failing to clear the dream from her mind.

It had felt so real, so cold and dark. And there had been a sort of presence, a shadow in the background, that had scared her most of all.

Elsa felt ice start to form on the ledge and snatched her hands away. She held them up to her face, horrified. "No, no, no, no..."

"Elsa!"