Chapter 5 - Jack

Flashback:

Knock knock knock. "Elsa?"

Elsa knew Anna would come talk to her. She knew she would ask why she hadn't gone to the funeral with her. How was she supposed to explain that she couldn't? She was forever confined to this room. She'd just lost her support system, the only people who knew about her powers and who tried to help. And to make matters worse, that meant she was going to be queen in three years. She wasn't ready.

But she wanted to talk to Anna. She wanted to hug her. She knew she couldn't. But she wanted to. So she sat with her back against the door, as close to her sister as she could get without hurting her. Again.

"Please, I know you're in there.
People are asking where you've been.
They say have courage, and I'm trying to.
I'm right out here for you.
Just let me in.
We only have each other.
It's just you and me.
What are we gonna do?"

Elsa heard a quiet sob. And then those six words came – the ones she'd been saying over and over every winter since they were children.

"Do you wanna build a snowman?"

Elsa closed her eyes as a tear slid down her cheek, and she buried her face.

They sat like that for a few minutes, until she heard Anna stand up and walk away. Even then, she didn't move. What was the point? She just wanted to lay down on the floor and curl up and sleep for a hundred years.

Tap tap tap.

Elsa looked up. There was a thin layer of frost covering her window, but through it she thought she saw an odd shape behind it. After a moment, she hesitantly stood and walked over to the window and opened it.

A boy was hanging upside down from the roof. He smiled at her.

Elsa gasped and stepped back. "Who are you, and what are you doing there?" She suddenly remembered that her room was filled with ice and snow, and fear stabbed her in the chest. "It's not what it looks like!" she said hurriedly.

The boy just laughed and shook his head. "No need to hide your powers from me, princess, I know all about them." He let go from where he was holding onto the roof. Elsa gasped again, but he just floated in the air right side up.

She leaned out of the window to look at his feet. "How are you doing that?"

He shrugged and grinned mischievously. "Part of my power set."

"Your power set?" Elsa repeated, not entirely sure she had heard him correctly.

"Uh-huh." He smiled at her. "I'm Jack. Jack Frost."

"I'm, uh, Elsa, Princess Elsa, of Arendelle."

Jack bowed his head. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Your Highness."

Elsa looked behind her to make sure no one was there before whispering, "How do you know about my powers?"

"I sensed them last summer when I was flying by your room. Nothing is that cold in the summer, not even in Arendelle. When I discovered the crown princess was the cause of it, I knew I had to help you. But I also knew I couldn't do anything while your parents were around. They were always telling you to hide it, to not feel it. That won't help you control it; embracing it will." He lowered his eyes. "I'm sorry about your parents, Your Highness. But we need to take advantage of this opportunity to explore and master these powers of yours."

"No." Elsa surprised herself with how firm she sounded. "I can't. I might lose control again –"

"I'll be right here the whole time," Jack assured her. "I can guide you. I'll never make you do anything you can't, or anything that could put others in danger. We'll do everything in a safe and controlled manner."