Chapter 6 - Hans

"So you guys have done this before," Rapunzel commented, clearly winded.

"Yes, we have," Kristoff replied. "When we went after Elsa the first time."

"Wow," Anna breathed, looking around her. "The land looks so much different from when we were here before."

"Well, everything was covered in snow," Kristoff remarked.

Anna gave him a look, but before she said anything a sudden rustling made them all look to their left.

"What was that?" Eugene asked.

Anna and Kristoff exchanged glances.

A man stumbled out of the foliage. It took them a moment to recognize him.

"Hans?" Anna exclaimed.

"Who is this?" Rapunzel asked.

"Hans," Kristoff replied in an icy tone. "Anna's ex-fiancé who betrayed her and left her to freeze to death."

Hans looked up at them fearfully. "Look, I know you guys are mad, and you have every right to be, but I just wanted to explain –"

"We don't want to hear anything you have to say," Kristoff said, taking a threatening step forward.

"Trolls!" Hans burst out, scrambling away from him.

"What about the trolls?" Anna asked, confused.

"They – they brainwashed me! They lured me into the forest and they messed with my head and tried to get me to kill you."

Kristoff let out a bark of laughter. "Are you serious right now? I grew up with the trolls, pretty boy. I know them. They'd never hurt a fly."

"They saved my life," Anna added. "Twice. Why would they try to get you to kill me?"

"So that you'd leave me for Kristoff!"

"Why are you even here, Hans?" Anna spit out.

He looked at her with a hint of desperation in his eyes. "I'm trying to warn you."

"Thank you so much for your consideration," Kristoff said angrily. "Now do us all a favor and leave us alone. Come on guys," he said, turning away.

Anna spared Hans one last glare. "Yeah, let's go."

She, Kristoff, Rapunzel, and Eugene started walking again, leaving Hans behind as he called out, "Don't say I didn't warn you!"

Later that night, Anna lay awake in the tent she shared with Kristoff. Memories were flooding into her mind, memories that she thought she'd locked away for good.

"Can I say something crazy? Will you marry me?"

"He seemed different when he returned – more cold and distant. I thought he was just upset that he hadn't found you..."

"Queen Elsa! Don't be the monster they fear you are!"

"He was such a good ruler while you were away. He handed out food and blankets and made sure everyone was warm and safe. We never could have guessed what his true intentions were."

"Oh, Anna. If only there was someone out there who loved you."

"Kristoff?"

Kristoff rolled over. "Hm?"

"...I think Hans was right."

A/N: Hello everyone, sorry for taking so long to post and for the short chapter. I didn't realize how short this chapter would be and I didn't want to tack anything else onto it, so I guess a short chapter is better than nothing right?

I was gonna link the theory videos that made me think Hans wasn't the actual villain but I figured that might count as a spoiler, so I decided against it. I'll link them in the next chapter though - they're still talking about it so it'll fit.

Hope you all have (had) a good day! I'll try to update sooner next time.

~Livi