Chapter 7 - The Trolls

Kristoff sat up and propped himself on his elbow, looking at Anna. "What are you talking about?"

"Everyone said he was acting different when he came back from the mountains. I wouldn't know, I only had that one interaction when he came back, but it was like I was talking to a completely different person."

"Anna, he –"

"You didn't know him, okay?"

"Neither did you!" Kristoff burst out. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I just –"

"Everyone else knew him. The castle staff, the council, they all got to know him and interacted with him. They knew what he was like, and they all said it felt like he'd changed."

Kristoff shook his head. "What about the trolls? Do you really believe they would do something like that to anyone? This is my family we're talking about Anna."

Anna sighed. "I know. And I'm sorry. But you have to admit they have done some weird stuff."

"They're harmless. Everyone knows that!"

"Are they? Really?" Anna shifted so she could look Kristoff in the eye. "They tried so hard to get us to get married last year, remember? And I was already engaged."

"That was Hans! And you didn't even know him!"

"They didn't know that! All they knew was that I wasn't marrying you, and apparently that didn't sit well with them. And when Elsa and I were kids," Anna continued, "she had perfect control of her powers. The only reason I got hurt was because I was being careless – she was just trying to save me. She did nothing wrong, but the trolls erased my memory of her magic anyway and scared her so badly that she lost control."

Kristoff just sat there, stunned. "I'd never thought about it that way," he said quietly. Then he shook his head. "But why would they want to do all that? Scare Elsa, and brainwash Hans, and... I mean it doesn't seem like them. What could possibly be their motivation?"

"They really wanted us to get married," Anna replied. "Seems as if they wanted one of their own in the royal family." She looked at Kristoff again, a flicker of hurt in her eyes. "You wouldn't happen to have any part in that, would you?"

"What? No!" He reached out and took her hand. "I love you, Anna. I would never try to pull anything like that on you. Trust me."

She sighed gratefully. "Then I guess you were just another pawn in their game."

There were a few moments of silence between them until Kristoff asked, "But why would they want to scare Elsa? I mean, I believe you that they did, I just can't think of a reason why they would do it purposefully."

"I don't know." Anna rubbed her eyes. "I'm too tired to come up with a reasonable answer, but I know if I try to go back to sleep I'll be up all night thinking about it."

"We'll talk about it later. C'mere." Kristoff gently pulled Anna into his arms. She wrapped her arms around him and settled her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. Despite all her worries and confusion, the steady beat slowly lulled her to sleep.

* * *

Flashback:

"Listen to me, Elsa," the old troll said. "Your power will only grow." He waved his hands, and blue shapes appeared in the air above them. Elsa realized it was a silhouette of her adult self, using her powers to form ice crystals and snowflakes.

"There is beauty in it," the troll continued, "but also great danger." Elsa gasped as the snowflake suddenly turned a bright red. "You must learn to control it. Fear will be your enemy." As she watched, the spikes turned into people and attacked her adult self.

Elsa gasped again and ran into her father's arms. "No! We will protect her," he said to his wife. Turning back to the troll, he continued. "She can learn to control it, I'm sure. Until then, we'll lock the gates. We'll reduce the staff, limit her contact with people, and keep her powers hidden from everyone... including Anna."

The family stood up and walked back to their horses. Before he mounted, Agnarr turned back to the trolls. "Thank you," he breathed. And then they were gone.

The trolls all turned to each other and began murmuring. A tall figure formed from the shadows. "Have they gone?" A chilling voice asked.

"Yes," the grandfather troll replied.

The figure stepped into the light. The trolls around him stared up at him in awe and fear.

"Well," Pitch said, smiling. "That worked out even better than I'd hoped."

A/N: Hahahahahaha look who finally updated... sorry about the wait. School has been a thing and I don't like it. 

This probably won't come as a surprise, but it will most likely take me a while to put up Chapter 8 because I've only written the outline up to Chapter 7 so I need to finish working on that. 

Also, I realized a few weeks ago that I purposefully said I wasn't going to include the video in the last chapter and then...forgot to take it down. So. Sorry about that. I've included it in this one. I'm also gonna leave some links to other videos I watched that basically said the same thing but in case you want videos from more than one source, here they are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4T8rDMRnIw 
(Okay so I couldn't find the other video but I'm pretty sure it was done by Wotso videos.)
I found some other videos that seem to have similar theories, but I haven't watched any besides those three. Apparently that is a pretty popular opinion.

Thanks so much for reading. If you celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you have a safe and fun day with whoever you choose to spend it with. If you don't, well, I still hope you have a safe and fun day. Remember to stay hydrated, eat something, take your meds if you need them, do that thing your mom told you to do while she was gone, etc. 

Stay safe everybody, and happy reading!

~Livi