Chapter 15 - A New Dawn

A/N: I do not own this picture. Credits go to the artist.

Elsa watched the sun come up from her balcony overlooking the mountains and the fjords. It felt like a day full of possibilities, a day where fear couldn't exist.

She heard a sound behind her and turned around. Anna walked over and stood next to her. "Beautiful, isn't it?"

Elsa took a deep breath. "Yes. It is."

They stood there in comfortable silence.

"I know you may not be ready for this yet," Anna finally said, "but when you are, we need to talk about what we're going to do with Hans."

Elsa exhaled slowly and nodded. "Yes, we do." She looked at her sister. "He saved us," she whispered, unsure she could really believe the words.

"He did," Anna replied.

Elsa played with her fingers. "I'm not completely sure I trust him, but I don't think we should hold a grudge anymore."

"That works for me."

"You really believe him about the trolls?" Elsa asked, looking at Anna again.

She shrugged. "I don't know. It makes sense."

"Well, I trust your judgement."

Anna smiled.

After another brief pause, she said, "If you don't mind me asking, what's going on with you and Jack?"

Elsa sighed. "Honestly? I don't know. He's been very confusing lately. He says he wants to help and he'll be there for me, and then all of a sudden he says he wants to be alone. I don't understand it."

"When does he say that?"

"When someone else comes in."

"Anyone?"

"Well, it only ever happened when Merida came into the room."

Anna was wearing a mischievous smile.

"What?"

She giggled. "It sounds like maybe he's jealous."

Elsa was taken aback. "Jealous? Of Merida? That's ridiculous! There's nothing –" She stopped. "There's nothing going on between me and Merida."

Silence hung in the air as that realization sunk in.

"Do you want there to be?" Anna asked.

Elsa gazed out at the landscape below her. "No," she finally said. "No, I don't. I love her, but I don't love her in that way. Not anymore. She's one of my closest friends, and I think that's all I want her to be."

"Do you want to be with Jack?"

She took a moment to answer. "I think so. Yes, yes I do."

"Then maybe you should tell him that."

"Maybe I should."

The sun had almost fully risen, painting the sky in gorgeous pinks and oranges. They stood there for a few more minutes, just enjoying the view together.

"I'm going to go back inside," Anna said after a while. "We can talk action later. I think we need some time to rest." She kissed her sister on the cheek. "See you later. Love you."

"Love you too," Elsa replied.

After Anna left, Elsa saw Jack step out of the castle and walk around the gardens beneath her, twirling his staff. She smiled.