10 - Grievers & Tension

Aspen walked the perimeter of the Glade, Newt by his side, as the sun beamed in the sky above, as a thought pinged in his mind. "Why didn't you do it? Kill me, I mean. I asked you to, when i was infected. Why didn't you?"

"I couldn't hurt you." He replied simply, not even sparing him a glance.

"I'm flattered but seriously, why?"

"I like you, Aspen, I wasn't going to kill you, no matter how much it hurt to see you in pain."

Aspen let out a chuckle. "That's so fucking cheesy." Newt flipped the boy off as they shared a quick laugh before squaring up as Gally began to approach them.

"Hey, come on. It's time."

Aspen wiped sweaty palms off on his shirt, exchanging a quick glance and an affirming nod with Newt before following in tow behind Gally.

They quickly began to take Teresa and a still 'unconscious' Thomas towards the doors.

Newt gave Aspen a comforting yet small smile as they walked with the others. Aspen went over the plan on his head, over and over. It had to go right, they had to get out.

Aspen wasn't too fond of Thomas, that's for sure. But nonetheless, he knew the boy was right about taking the risk to get out. Alby would have wanted them to do anything and everything in their power to do so.

Gally stared down at a collapsed Thomas, "This is such a waste." Apparently Thomas was good at acting.

Winston spoke up, unsure over the whole ordeal. "Gally, it doesn't feel right, man."

Jeff also chimed in, "Yeah, what if Thomas is right? Maybe he can lead us home."

Gally's shoulders squared, his jaw tightening as he took a step forward. "We are home. Okay?" Another step. "I don't want to have to cross any more names off that wall."

"You really think vanquishing us is going to solve anything?" The soft spoken girls voice perked up.

"No. But this isn't a banishing. It's an offering."

"What?"

Shit.

"You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the Maze after what he's done? Look around you! Look at our Glade. This is the only way. And when the Grievers get what they came here for, everything goes back to the way it was."

Teresa scoffed in disbelief. "Are you listening to this? Why are you all just standing there? He's crazy."

"Can you shut up?"

The girl pressed on. "If you stay here, the Grievers are going to come back. They're gonna come back and they're gonna keep coming back, until your all dead."

"Shut up! Tie him up." Gally was losing it.

As the two boys began to lift up Thomas' crumbled body to die him up, he retaliated. He swung, elbowing the boys in the face as his heart raced.

Newt swung out his blade, tossing a second one to Aspen, as they hit the handles over other Gladers heads, knocking them to the ground.

Even Teresa helped, fighting against the man standing next to her with a stern kick.

Gally tried to revolt, hold them back, but Minho held a knife towards him, a warning. Aspen had something else in mind. He kicked the boy in the back, knocking him to his knees. Not part of the plan. He grasped the back of the boys head, hand entangling with his red hair, and pulled his head back so his neck was exposed, where he held the blade, just hovering over the skin.