28 - One Last

Teresa was a sight for sore eyes, that's for fucking sure.

Aspen just particularly hated her more than most.

Gally ripped the bag off the panting girl's head. "Here's how this is gonna go. We're gonna ask you some questions, and you're gonna tell us exactly what we need to know. We'll start off simple, where's Minho?"

The girl glanced towards Thomas, Aspen rolled his eyes at that."You guys don't seriously think-"

Gally quickly sat in front of the girl, blocking her line of sight. "Don't look at him. Why are you looking at him? Look at me. He's not gonna help you. Now we know you have Minho in the building. Where?" He spoke sternly.

She caved, thankfully. "He's with the others in holding. Sublevel three."

"How many others?" Newt questioned quietly.

"Yeah, how many other teenagers have you been torturing?" Aspen spoke as he cocked his head to the side.

"Twenty-eight."

Brenda sighed, "I can make that work."

"No, you guys don't understand. The whole level's restricted. Y-you can't get in without a thumbprint ID."

"That's why you're gonna come with us." Aspen smirked at Thomas' words, admiring the girls expression of discomfort.

"Well, I don't know. We don't necessarily need her." Gally stood, gripping a blade in his hand as Aspen smirked. "Right? Not all of her. We just need her finger."

"Gally back off."

"Why not? I mean she was ruthless with us, why can't we be ruthless with her? She'll survive." Thomas scoffed at Aspen's words and Newt shot him a glare.

"What, are you squeamish? I guarantee she's done a lot worse to Minho."

"That's not the plan. Back off." Thomas stood, taking the blade from Gally's grasp. Protecting his little girlfriend.

"It won't make a difference." Speak of the devil. "Do whatever you want to me. You still won't get through the front door. The sensors will pick you up-"

"We know. We're tagged." Thomas stalked over to the girl, blade in hand. "Property of W.C.K.D. You're gonna help us with that, too."

Aspen winced as he held a cloth over the back of his neck. "Bitch probably enjoyed that."

"Definitely." Gally responded with a smirk to hide his bubbling anger at the girl.

Newt inched towards them, handing each of them some clothes. He closed in on Aspen, "Can we talk?"

The two walked out to the roof where they'd talked the previous day, "What's up?"

Newt closed the gap between them, smashing his lips to Aspen's with an unmatched ferocity. Aspen pulled back, hands on Newt's shoulders.

"I know what you're doing, stop. We're gonna get out of this, I promise."

He shook his head frantically, almost tearing up. "No, we're not. We're both infected, we're both gonna die, Aspen."

A stray tear slid down Aspen's face as he thought of a life without Newt. "At least I won't have to live without you." Newt grasped Aspen's forearm, the boy wincing at the action.

Newt quickly pulled up his sleeve, eyeing the darkened veins sprouting up his arm. "It's getting worse."

"Believe me, I know."

Newt spoke not another word as he leaned his head against the boys shoulder, allowing Aspen to relax beneath his touch.

Newt slowly reached a hand up and entwined it in the boys hair, pulling it through its smoothness before tugging softly at a knot. The touch was enough to make Aspen practically melt.

One last act of affection before it all goes to shit, before he fucking dies, he knew that's what it was.

Newt knew it too.

One last love, for the rest of their lives.

One last kiss, which he pressed to the boys cheek.