So many things are wrong.

The door hit the wall with a bang. The boy flinched, and I squared my jaw to stop myself from making a sound.

The person--creature-- that opened the door towered over us, a hood, and mask covering his head, and half of his face. The boy buried his head in my neck, his entire body shaking, and I tightened my hold on him once more.

The man carried with him the stench of rotting meat, and flesh. His skin, the parts that I could see, were red, and leathery. He had a tail. A full, fat, bull's tail, that swashed behind him, almost in excitement. I swallowed the bile that rose up my throat.

He stepped closer, his yellow eyes watching both of us carefully. I tilted my head back against the wall, closing my eyes in hopes that the wall would just swallow us in it, but that didn't happen. The man walked closer, until he was two feet away from us. They boy was muttering prayers again, and I could feel his tears on my tunic. My throat quivered, and I fought to keep my eyes open. He was surrounded by heat, like a walking furnace. His arms were covered in holes, like a sponge, that produced steam every few seconds.

He tilted his head, his gaze on the boy in my arms. I brought him closer to me, and the man's eyes lit up in amusement.

He crouched down to our level, his large arms resting on his bulging knees. The steam blowing out of his skin, smelt like tar and rotting flesh, making my throat work as I tried not to gag. He reached out one large hand, I snapped my eyes shut, as he caressed my cheek. His hand felt slimy, and rough, and the heat of his skin most likely leaving a red flush on my cheek.  He reached down, and ran his hand through the boy's fire, red hair. The boy trembled against me, his tears flowing faster as his lips spat prayer after prayer.

The man caressed the boys wings. They twitched on instinct, trying to push him away, and he chuckled,  a penetrating sound that boomed in the cold, empty, room.

He ran his hand through the wing one last time, before his gaze shifted up to me again. Amusement, danced in his beady, yellow eyes, making them look orange, and brown, and ugly.

"Well," he spoke. His voice grating, and croaky. "Aren't you two precious." His eyes crinkled in his hood, his yellow eyes sparkling with malice. "Probably the most pretty things we've ever caught." He chuckled again, like he'd seen the most amusing thing, then he stopped, and his eyes were hard, and red. He stood, his large body, a shadow of heat, and steam over us. "Too bad, what's going to happen to you. Bloody well know, you two are going to go for a high price."

He reached down, and pulled the boy away from me. A sob tore from his throat, and I could barely make out the shout that tore from mine. He threw him across the room, he landed on his back, and a sick crack echoed through the air.

I scrambled to my feet, trying to get to where he was, but a hot, moist, arm caught my wrist, stopping me from moving further.

"You're going first, of course. Can't have the great Theo runnin' around my cellars full of power. now can I?" He cackled this time. I refused to look up at him, my gaze still on the faceless boy, sobbing on his back. "Come on." The creature growled. He tugged on my arm roughly, then laughed again when I didn't move. "Oh my dear angle. You will move! ... or else." He tugged roughly on my arm, making me fall to my knees. He scoffed, and dragged me to the door. Meanwhile, my gaze never left the boy sobbing on the floor.

His blank face was red, and flushed, his fiery red hair, damp, and matted to his forehead. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry ..." He kept muttering as he clutched his leg. It was bent the other way, and I was sure that even if he managed to stand, he wasn't going to be much help. But that was okay, his immobility would make it easier for the others to find him, because I was going to find a way to get him out.