God's favoured

"I'm sorry." He whispered when I pushed him away. He turned his back to me and ran a hand through his hair. I felt my cheeks heat up, as my lips throbbed where he'd bit. My fingers twitched and I clenched them tightly into  fists so I didn't do anything stupid, like punch him or...trace my lips with the tip of my fingers.

 Ignoring him, I sat back down on the window sill, to put at least a bit of distance between us. The air was tense, so was I and I was positive he was as well. 

Kissing Ezequiel was...alluring and it was also horribly familiar. It felt like betrayal the way my body responded to him. How pliant and trusting my flesh and bones became when he held me. The familiar shiver that ran down my spine when he ran his tongue over the roof of my mouth. I shuddered, shifting on my ass.

"I apologise." He says, not turning to face me fully, I assumed he felt as awkward about it as I did.

"Forget it." 

"Raven-"

"Let's forget it alright? It didn't happen, and it will never happen again. Right?" 

It takes a moment, but he nods. "Alright." 

I cleared my throat.  "Okay. Right then, back to business." As soon as we got this conversation out of the way, the sooner he could leave, but that went unsaid. It was an honest mistake, a mistake that wouldn't under any circumstances happen ever again.

He shifted, sitting on the edge of my bed. "Where do you want me to start?"

"The beginning." I say after a moment of thought.

He nodded, his face an impenetrable mask of indifference, when he started to speak."Theo was our leader." He started. "It wasn't easy to fight against evil but, Theo was determined, like most angels, he cared about the earth and its people, it was easy for him to choose which side he was going to fight on.  By the time it was over, everybody in this galaxy and the next knew who Theo was...God's favoured, the angel with the gift of time." He paused, unclasping his hands and letting them to rest on his thighs. "You see, with that type of recognition and that kind of power, it meant he had just as many enemies as he did admirers. It didn't take long for the threats on his life to start. Demons, creatures of the myth, fae- every single creature you could imagine was after Theo-or more specifically, his power.

"But he wasn't alone of course, he'd gained a following, fellow angels who fought alongside him during the war and people who he grew to call his brothers. We fought them all, of course but, nothing can beat greed and envy. He was taken multiple times, but he fought his way through, he fought back, until he couldn't.  We still don't know who did it, or how they took him. When we finally found you-him...he was dead." He paused, and the silence that hung for a moment was enough to make me choke. When he finally spoke again, his voice was strange. "killing an angel is not impossible, it's just so bloody difficult, and when you succeed, you can...take the angel's power."

"Then why do I still have them?"

"Like I said before, you're god's favourite, still are." Didn't bloody feel like it, but alright. "The demons didn't kill you, they tried, but in the end...you killed yourself. They did a lot of things to you, but that still wasn't enough to kill you."

"What does that mean?"

He breathes. "Angels can't be killed but we can kill ourselves, there are moments, rare moments when we can choose to leave our angel forms behind and take on a new one, any of our choosing. But in order to do that we'd have to give up our power and all memories from our previous life- start anew." In the dark light of my room, I thought I saw his lips tilt up. "You are God's favoured Theo, and no matter how taboo it is, he let you keep your powers."