Chapter Six: Hogsmeade

Two weeks before the end of the term, the sky lightened suddenly to a dazzling, opaline white and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning covered in glittering frost

Two weeks before the end of the term, the sky lightened suddenly to a dazzling, opaline white and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning covered in glittering frost. Inside the castle, there was a buzz of Christmas in the air. Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher, had already decorated his classroom with shimmering lights that turned out to be real, fluttering fairies. The students were all happily discussing their plans for the holidays. I was dreading going home for the holidays as I knew I would have to face my father, in which he was not pleased to hear that I received detention on my first day of fifth year.

I still wasn't sure why I decided to go to the Quidditch match, the weather was horrendous but luckily my umbrella seemed to help shelter me from the pouring rain. Now I come to think of it, quidditch isn't such a bad sport after all, it's quite exciting to watch in fact.

But deep down, I know that wanting to watch a full game of Quidditch for the first time wasn't the reason as to why I attended the match.

"Good morning Malfoy," Diggory greeted, deliberately ignoring the frown on my face that had coincidentally formed on my face as he sat down besides me at my usual table near the very back of the library.

Ignoring him, I carried on scribbling down notes.

Noticing my lack of response, he continued the conversation himself; "Do you want to see my drafts of the essay I came up with? I'm quite impressed with them."

I rolled my eyes irritably before replying: "Nothing is impressive if it's done by you."

"Oh really?" he smirked at me.

I dropped my quill whilst sighing, "Pass them here." I watched as a grin formed on his face as he pulled out a piece of parchment and handed it to me.

My fingertips brushed against his for a second and I felt my stomach turn into knots, my eyes scanned over his messy writing that almost looked like scribbles.

"Your essay writing is appalling," I disputed.

Sighing frustratingly in response, he deadpanned; "At least I can transform a toad into a teapot, I saw you struggling with that in transfiguration the other day."

I huffed, annoyed that he had indeed noticed my struggle of doing a simple spell, but nevertheless did not back down; "At least my vocabulary is much more extensive."

"Yet you still can't perform simple spells that even first years are capable of."

A scowl appeared on my face as I threw the parchment at him, which he deflected effortlessly. "Getting violent with me now Malfoy?" he arched an eyebrow.

"Piss off Diggory," I rolled my eyes and went back to writing notes.

"That's not very polite now is it? What happened to those nice gestures you were doing?"