Chapter 19

Naru had sent the flight information out the next afternoon as promised. We would meet at the airport at 8am to make sure we all had our correct tickets and had plenty of time to get through security. Our flight left at 10:55am from Narita International Airport. We would have a nonstop flight to London Heathrow Airport which lands at 3:25pm. Luella and Martin plan to meet us there and then take us to their home and allow us to get some rest before we headed to the client's office.The client wanted to meet all of us before showing us the place that he wants investigated.

While everyone was excited to go I felt a bit apprehensive because I had decided to stay along with Lin, Naru and Gene but I felt as though Naru was displeased with my decision to stay. Gene had tried to assure me several times that Naru was just being a baby about being forced to be social for their birthday. Apparently their birthday wasn't something Naru looked forward to celebrating. Naturally Naru had given us the next few days to prepare and get our affairs in order before the left so I had the next few days off to pack.

I had the majority of my things packed by the time we left. Since I was moving out by the end of the month it was going to be a tight schedule when I got back from this case/ vacation that I would have to hire movers to help me. I doubted there was anyway that I could move all of this by myself. The boxes were stacked neatly in the corner and I only left the essentials packed. I packed my suitcase with a large amount of clothes for the trip as well as some for after my return. I had packed the rest of my clothes to eliminate the need to do so when I came back.

~~~

The morning of the 5th I was up at 6am to get ready before running over a short checklist of things I needed to gather right before leaving. I made sure to pack my phone and charger in my purse so I had no doubt that I would leave it. I triple checked that my wallet was in my purse before setting it by the door next to my suitcase. I grabbed a light jacket and laid it next to my carry on and purse before walking through my apartment one last time to make sure I didn't forget to do anything.

A light knock on my door signaled that Monk was here to pick me up. I opened the door wide and he grabbed my stuff completely forgetting about pleasantries since he was still half asleep. He carried my things down the stairs as I grabbed my carry on, purse, and jacket and followed. I locked the door out tight and bounded down the stairs to his waiting car.

Ayako was seated in the passenger seat head against the window as she somewhat drifted in and out of sleep. Monk slammed the trunk and then hopped into the driver's seat and quickly drove to the airport. He parked in a 2 week parking spot and then helped Ayako and I gather our stuff and make our way to the ticket counter. I glanced around hoping to catch a glimpse of someone we knew but all I saw was all these unknown faces that swam past my vision in a constant stream. It was overwhelming the amount of people who were packed into the airport.

I stayed close to Ayako and Monk since they both knew what they were doing. We made it through security and received our tickets easy enough but finding the gate was difficult. There were constantly people rushing about and people spoke often over the intercom system which only added to the disorienting atmosphere. We arrived at the gate at 10:30 all of us tired and annoyed with traveling. Naru, Lin, and Gene were all waiting looking as though they did this every morning. Which seeing as they were all workaholics I had no doubt that they did.
Monk was the first to greet them followed by Ayako and then myself who was having a bit of trouble making my way through the crowds.

"Hey Mai! Which seat did you get?" Gene greeted me happily.

I glanced at my ticket and then at him blankly, "How do I check?"

He pointed to a letter and a number printed under the flight number, "You're in row F6 Seat 2. Oh that's awesome! You get the window seat so i bet you'll enjoy it alot. In your row theres only 1 person sitting next to you so once everyone gets here we'll figure out who's sitting next to who." We all took seats in the provided chairs and made idle chatter until John and Masako arrived.