Chapter 4

Mai's POV:

I woke up groggy and sore. I still climbed out of bed ignoring the protests that my body was making and grabbed some clothes before heading to take a shower. I turned on the water and stood under the spray. It helped to loosen my muscles and to relax me. I quickly washed my hair and body before stepping out and getting dressed. Today I chose to wear a dark green tank top with a cream sweater over it and a plain pair of blue jeans with my grey tennis shoes.

I through my old clothes in my bag and made my way past base into the kitchen; I figured since it was already so late I would make Oliver his tea before heading to base. I made my way up to base and opened the door; everyone was already here and awake. Lin and Oliver were sitting at the monitors; while Monk and Ayako were sitting on the couch arguing. I glanced in the corner to see John and Masako holding a conversation softly while Yasu just stared out the window looking upset. I made my way to Oliver and set down his tea but before I could do anything else I was quickly scooped into a hug by Monk.

"Mai-chan, are you alright?"

"Let her go you stupid monk!" I heard Ayako's purse connect with the back of Monk's head before he released me and gripped his head in pain.

"What was that for?! I was just checking to make sure my little girl is all right!"

"Get away from her you dirty old monk!"

"Who you calling old?! At least I don't have wrinkles!" I left them to their bickering before making my way toward Yasu; as I passed by John and Masako I gave them both polite smiles.

"Hey Yasu, what's wrong?" I stopped next to his chair and smiled down at him. He looked at me startled and then looked at the ground avoiding my gaze.

"I'm so sorry Mai..." I'm pretty sure I surprised everyone when I wrapped my arms around Yasu and gave him a big hug. Everyone, minus Lin and Oliver, stopped talking and looked over at our exchange before going back to their conversations to give us some privacy.

"Yasu I'm not mad at you. That wasn't you. You can't blame yourself. I swear I'm okay." I was still hugging him when I felt his arms wrap around my waist and pull me into his lap.

"But I took your first kiss Mai. I know how important it was to you... I can't fix this." He said as he buried his face in the crook of my neck.

"You're right; my first kiss was important to me but I also am happy that it was taken by you and not some random stranger." I realized that it was true. I was happy that Yasu took my first kiss regardless of the circumstances it was under.

"You're one of my best friends Yasu, I could never be mad at you." I ran my fingers through his hair in a comforting way as he quietly sobbed onto my shirt.

Everyone turned when Oliver's phone rang.

"Hello." Oliver said speaking into the device. He looked at us and then quickly put the phone on speaker.

"Hey everyone!" Madoka's cheerful voice rang out through the room and we all called back our own hellos.

"So I looked into the history of the town and property like you asked me Noll, and I came up with some pretty interesting facts." Both Yasu and I stood up and moved toward the group. I noticed briefly that Yasu stayed closed to my side and I slightly smiled. I was happy to have Yasu near me; he always made my day brighter.

"I discovered that there was a man who lived in the house that was accused of raping and murdering seven girls but the trial fell through since none of the bodies we're ever found. One of the girl's dads then broke into the man's home and shot his claiming that he did it so his daughter's soul could rest in peace." Madoka continued relaying the information found on the man but I had zoned out. I found myself staring at the doorway trying to figure out if someone had walked by or someone was outside the door eavesdropping on our conversation.