Chapter 10

Naru’s POV:

I awoke to a knock on the door. I cracked my eyes open and looked towards to door to see Mai letting Lin in. “Hey Lin, I’ll wake those two.” She gestured toward Gene and me with a smile. I closed my eyes making Mai think I was asleep. I wasn’t really sure what possessed me to fake being asleep but I didn't feel like it needed logic.

"Gene. Gene. Wake up." I could feel the couch shake as she shook Genes shoulder.

"Taniyama-san, I'll wake up these two go get dressed Luella has asked that you come see them off at the airport."

"Are you sure I should go Lin? I feel as though I'm imposing a lot on the Davis family."

"They all adore you. Go get ready." I heard her skip down the hallway towards her bedroom.

"I know both of you are awake." Gene and I immediately sat up straight; Gene with a huge grin on his face and me with my blank mask on. We all heard the water turn on in the bathroom. 'Let’s go make breakfast.'  Lin looked confused as we both stood and went to the kitchen but he quickly figured out that we had communicated via telepathy.

We didn't say it but we both decided to make English food. Both of us preferred English food to Japanese food. We decided on eggs, toast and tea. We debated making a Japanese dish for Mai but we decided to give her a taste of English food before Mother invited her to England with us for the Holidays.

'Noll we need to teach Mai English for when Mother forces her to come to England.'  I nodded and set the table.

Mai walked out of her bedroom dressed in light grey tights and a dark blue strapless dress that came down to about mid-thigh paired with a light grey sweater. It fit her perfectly. It hugged her waist without being too tight and showed off her figure but left enough to the imagination that you wanted to stare at her and try to figure out what was underneath.

‘Stop undressing Mai with your eyes and next time keep your dirty thoughts to yourself Noll, that’s my best friend you’re thinking about!’ Gene teased and I shot him a glare. Mai bounded into the kitchen with a huge smile on her face.

“Thank you for cooking breakfast you guys!” She beamed at Gene and I but when she we met eyes I felt my heart leap with joy as I watched her smile. I’d seen her angry, scared, upset, and embarrassed but none of those came to close to how beautiful she looked when she smiled. Her eyes light up and she just fills the entire room with joy.

Lin joined us in the dinning room and we all sat down and began eating. Mostly it was a silent meal except for some random talking done by Mai and Gene.

After we all ate Mai went to clear the table but I reached out and grabbed Lin’s plate and my own before she could. I never really just it be known that I did enjoy helping people but this time I did have an ulterior motive as well. I would get to be near Mai as we hand washed and dried the dishes but even better than that I was rewarded with several smiles from Mai that were just mine. We finished quickly and all put on our shoes and headed down to the car.

Lin was driving and Gene stole the passenger seat so I was forced to sit with Mai in the backseat. We arrived at my apartment and made our way to my apartment. Gene headed straight for his room and I headed for mine. Thankfully my apartment had 2 bathrooms so we could both shower without having to waste any time.

I took a quick shower and stepped out into my room. I glanced at the clock on my bedside table. 6:30am. I towel dried my hair quickly and pulled on my signature outfit. I glanced and the mirror and hesitated. Everything I was wearing was black and I knew Mother, Gene and Mai all hated how I always wore black. I sighed and ran my hand threw my hair. I took my coat off and tossed it on my bed unbuttoning the black shirt I already had on and hung it back up. I picked out a dark blue one similar to the color of Mai’s dress and pulled it on. I grabbed my coat and pulled it on as I headed down the hallway. Gene, Lin and Mai were there waiting.