Chapter 1

Naru'sPOV:

I heard the door open and close again and I turned my attention to the door of my office. Lin knocked and opened the door a bit sticking his head in. "They agreed to come back and listen." I took a deep breath slipping into my blank face. I stood up and gracefully slipped out of my office and into the lobby. Glancing around the room I saw everyone sitting on the couches, Monk and Ayako sat next to each other, while John was sitting close to Masako. My eyes were drawing to the girl with brown hair and cinnamon eyes. Mai. I felt my blood boil as I saw how close she was to Yasu; he even had the audacity to have his arm around my Mai! I didn't let the angry register on my face as I continued to my normal chair and sat down.

"I've asked all of you here to offer you your jobs back." I stated simply.

"That doesn't explain why you're back in Japan; someone else could lead this case besides you. You could've contacted us and we could have run SPR for you. You didn't need to come here." I looked toward the sound of the small whisper it came from Mai. I looked into her cinnamon brown eyes and saw so much emotion there. My chest ached and I wanted to go over and sweep her into a hug, tell her how sorry I was, but my pride wouldn't allow it.

"My parents sent me back since they felt it was best that I lead this branch." That was a lie, my parents didn't want me to return to Japan but I told them I needed to come back. I never told them that I need to come back for Mai but they got the idea that something was calling me back to Japan.

These last three months I just locked myself in my office and threw myself into my work trying to forget about the bubbly klutz of an assistant I once had. I still found my mind wondering about how she was, what she was doing, if she looked the same. I took a few moments to drink in her image, her hair was now at her shoulders, and her womanly curves were more pronounced even her lips were fuller. Snapping out of my thoughts I returned to the conversation at hand.

"Can I count on you to assist me or do I need to find a new team?" I saw everyone look to Mai before answering. I saw her hesitate before slowly nodding her head. Everyone else also nodded their heads in acknowledging that I could count on them. I felt a small weight lift off of me a small warmth spread through my body as I thought of being around Mai again. I was glad I came back; I know she loves Gene but I still need her around me. I couldn't change her mind but I still wanted to try. I knew it would pain me to watch her be happy with another man but I had to have her near me regardless, she was what kept me sane.

I stood up and walked back into my office closing the door firmly behind me. I slouched against the door letting my façade drop. I exhaled loudly and returned to my chair turning my focus to the case at hand.

Mai'sPOV:

"Can I count on you to assist in my case or do I need to find a new team?" Oliver said. I didn't want to hear that but over the past few months I couldn't find a well-paying job so Ayako and Monk were helping to pay my bills; I couldn't let that continue. Besides somewhere deep down my animal instincts as Oliver called it; were telling me to accept his offer. So I slowly shook my head and I saw the rest of SPR do the same. Oliver stood quickly and retracted back to his office firmly shutting his door behind him. Lin, who hadn't returned to his office yet, was staring intently at his laptop screen typing furiously. Once Oliver's door closed Lin made moves to collect his items and return to his office as well but not before informing us more on the case.

"We've already taken a case; we're leaving tomorrow. You all should pack for a few days and be here by 9:00am," and with that he closed his door. We all nodded at him and moved to gather our things, Yasu helped me put my coat on and looped his arm through mine dragging me out the door mumbling inaudible profanities towards Oliver. Our group walked and slowly separated, Monk took Ayako back to her back to her house, while John and Masako shared a cab to their bound for their respective hotels. I was left with Yasu who was looking too serious for my liking but none the less walked me home chatting away although he carefully avoided anything that had to do with Oliver.