Chapter 13

Naru’s POV:

I threw open the door with my PK and followed Gene inside. Mai was in the corner whimpering as the spirit loomed over her. Lin rushed in behind us and whistled for his shiki as the spirit turned on us and snarled.

“How dare you protect this unfaithful whore!” the spirit shirked voice full of hatred. Before Lin’s shiki could land any solid attacks the spirit disappeared. I quickly walked over to Mai and looked over her for injuries.

“Let’s bring her to base Noll; I left John and Monk with Masako and Ayako but I’d feel better with all the men and women together.” I nodded and slipped my arms under Mai picking her up bridal style. She whimpered against the crook of my neck where her head was situated but made no other sounds. I walked in front; Gene and Lin stood to my sides ready in case something else happened.

‘Gene I had Ayako ward our room earlier.’

‘I know that’s why I’m worried the spirit is powerful enough to break through charms.’

We both went silent as we walked into base. Lin headed straight for the monitors while I took Mai over to Ayako who was already waiting by the couch.

“Monk grab me my medical bag from the room.” Monk ran out the door obviously distressed from seeing Mai in such bad shape. Several purple bruises were appearing all over Mai’s legs and arms. I noticed Ayako’s eyes shift from the men in the room to Mai and sighed. Monk handed her the medical bag and backed away giving her room to work.

“Masako I need you to stay and help me. The rest of you go to the other side of the room and look away from us. I need to take Mai’s shirt off and I doubt she would be comfortable with all of you in here but this is the only solution I have.” We all stood and walked over to the monitors perfectly aware of how bashful Mai could be.

All of us were seated faced the wall of monitors that was luckily on the opposite wall of Mai.

“Gene pull up a floor plan and find out the largest bed room. I want everyone sleeping in the same room from now on. The spirit is starting to get more daring in her attacks.”

Never lifting his eyes from the screen he replied, “The family room on the first floor should be big enough to fit everyone comfortably. It’s already got a microphone and 2 camera’s as well.”

“Lin what kind of activity occurs in the room?”

Lin quickly typed away at his keyboard finding the information, “Minimal temperature fluctuations and no recorded activity in the room by the spirit.” I nodded.

“Monk, John go retrieve everyone’s things and take them to the family room. Bring some cots for everyone as well.” They nodded soberly and left.

“Gene get me any research you have on the case. I want to look over it.” The three of us remaining buried ourselves in research trying to block out the whimpers and moans of pain that were coming from the other side of the room.

Ayako’s POV:

Once Naru laid Mai down I knew it was bad. Her body was already trying to fight off the flu and now it was going to try to repair several cuts and bruises as well. A red stain on her shirt drew my attention. I mentally cursed looking at the small cut on Mai’s side. It wasn’t long nor wide but deep which it even worse.

“Monk grab me my medical bag from the room.” The first aid-kit that was already in here didn’t hold all the necessary equipment I needed. Monk had no smart remark and just hurried there and back. I noticed he carefully avoided looking at Mai probably trying not to see the full extent of her injuries.