Before the Storm

Rick paced back and forth, the news was on and the breaking story was that of terror. The dead were rising, and they were supposedly killing people in turn. Daryl was sitting on the couch watching the TV wide eyed and horrified. "Alpha.."

"I know darling, I know. I think we should go to one of those emergency communities that they are talking about."

"I- Rick we can't not..not with me being..well me."

Rick looked down at Daryl, his eyes grew soft realizing what he meant, "'Mega, you aren't a bad thing, you're special."

"That's the problem Rick. I am an omega, I am rare, and I am in the one percent. I am a male omega with a working womb Rick, what's going to happen when we are around multiple alphas that just want a knot? What are we going to do when my heat hits?"

"That will be anywhere we go." Rick stated, Daryl rubbed his arm.

"Then let's go somewhere without others, just go to the woods. Take Carl and go," Daryl stood. "Please Alpha, it's dangerous for us anywhere we go and I am not putting our son in danger."

"Carl..we..we should call Sam."

Daryl's head turned to him quickly, "Sam?"

"He saved you once, saved Carl. Rick replied, taking his mate's hands in his own. "I think it's the safest option. They may know what is going on."

"Maybe..maybe we should. They would know something to deal with all of these wouldn't they? Isn't this in their line of work?"

"I think it's time Carl meets the reason he's alive. Where his middle name comes from." Rick kissed Daryl's forehead. Daryl nodded looking over his mate for a moment, he lowered his head, his blue eyes looking over the buttons on Rick's shirt. "Daryl, I know what we have talked about before. What I would have done when they saved you, when he saved you. If you think it's safer with the way the world is going I will still do it."

"No! No I don't want to be separated, but I think we can maybe do a compromise. A lot of omega's do it, or well when there were omegas around. Two mates, you know.. You take one shoulder, he takes the other. That is if he wants it. You know how they are, they don't take mates."

"The times are changing angel." Rick replied, kissing him again. "Carl needs protection, so do you. If anything happens to me, I need to make sure he is there. That he is going to protect you."

Daryl nodded, handing him the phone. "I hope the lines are still working."

Rick dialed quickly, thankfully they were still up and going, things hadn't fallen yet. "This is Sam and Dean's personal line. If you have this number we like you, speak."

"Sam? This is Rick."

"Rick! We are headed your way, saw the news and thought we should, that omega of yours and your boy need protecting."

"You have the same thoughts then," Rick sighed in relief, "is this like anything you've seen before?"

"We have seen the dead rise, but this, this isn't like that. This isn't normal. We haven't seen anything like this, and well God isn't sure what is happening either."

"God?!" Rick gapped. "What do you mean God?"

"God, he said this isn't right, he didn't plan for this."

"You know God?" Rick managed out, Daryl's head lifted quickly, God was real? Well God had to be a real dick. If he just let omega's get attacked and raped and put into slave trades the way they were than he had to be a real dick. If he just let what happened to him as a kid happen, he had to be a real piece of work.