Chapter Twenty Nine

I couldn't do it after all. After browsing for like five minutes and nearly giving myself a nose bleed imagining Vega in all that stuff, I quickly ran away from that section. I nearly walk out of the store to catch up with everyone else who is at the store across from this one, when,

"Uh miss," I pause.

"Are you going to pay for that?" she indicates to the cute little owl in my arms.

"Oh," I look down at it.

It is cute.

And I do want it.

But I didn't come here to shop for myself.

I sigh and place it back on the shelf.

I shall return for you one day little owl.

I smile at the clerk and quickly walkout.

In my haste to exit out of that awkward situation I bumped right into my old friend Beth, and her new friend who was mid-laugh when I ran into them.

"Oh, sorry," I said before looking up and seeing who it is.

"No problem," her new friend smiles at me and they keep walking.

Beth and I make eye contact and I want to say something to her but she just turns and pretends she didn't see me.

I feel my face droop in response.

Her new friend looks nice at least.

"Come on, or we're leaving you behind!" Dariyah calls and makes me flinch as they all head to the next store.

I shake out of my funk and quickly follow them.

"Nothing?" Gunner asks me.

"Never ask me to do that again," I sigh.

They all laugh.

"You're such a baby," Dariyah snorts in amusement.

"Shut up." I pout.

"Got your gift," Darko says to me holding up a bag.

"Now we're even," I smile.

He knows I got his gift but has no clue what it is. It's more fun that way.

Nerissa gasping dramatically makes us all flinch.

"Oh my god, this is so cute!" she cooes to the store display.

We all share looks.

She quickly runs inside the store.

As always her fashion taste is impeccable and expensive. At this rate, I'll never be able to afford her gift.

"Okay, is it just me, or is trying to shop for her worse than trying to shop for Vega," Dariyah says as Nerissa runs to try on the sweater dress.

We all hum in agreement.

"Do you think Nerissa will like these earrings?" I ask as I hold up some little moon and star earrings.

They all shrug.

I sigh.

This is hard.

I see a cute necklace that says love is limitless, with little rose quartz stones in an infinity sign. I smile and grab it. Maybe Vega will like this.

"Nope, too cheesy," Dariyah says behind me.

"Ugh! You're no help at all." I put it back.

"I gave you help; you didn't accept it." She shrugs.