➳ Reign

❝It isn't fair, the privileges we are given

It isn't fair,
the privileges we are given...
Or the prices we must pay for them.

WHAT IT'S ABOUT:
Mary Stuart is the Queen of Scotland and has now been promised a marriage to Prince Francis. From now on she fights for her survival amidst dark forces and intrigues.

SEASONS:
4 with approx. 20 episodes each

STATUS:
Finished
[2013-2017]

AGE RATING: 16

GENRE:
Historic Drama

WHERE YOU CAN WATCH IT:
Netflix

MY OPINION:
I have to say that the show positively surprised me from the first episode. Although it is set in medieval times, it is so modern that after a few episodes you don't even notice it anymore and are completely immersed in the time. Whether it is authentic, however, I can not say. xD

I liked the different storylines a lot, you could laugh, cry and sympathize. Since the series is based on the real story of Mary and Francis, I enjoyed researching what actually happened back then and was surprised how much was actually historical. So there is a bit of history lesson in it, even if a lot of it is pure fiction.

The characters themselves I also liked and were quite versatile. However, I could at some of Mary's decisions just hit me the flat hand against the forehead and also at other characters, whereby many scenes were quite frustrating to watch.

In summary: The series is quite an up and down ride of emotions.

BINGE FACTOR: 8/10
There were many parts where it was very exciting and you really wanted to know what would happen next. But overall it was pretty even and there was never a moment where I thought about stop watching the show.

FAVORITE CHARACTERS:
Mary Stuart
Bash de Poitiers
Leith Bayard
Francis Valoir

FAVORITE SHIPS:
Mary + Bash
Lola + Narcisse
Claude + Leith

RATING: 8/10

RECOMMENDATION:
This show is definitely not merely for medieval fans, but many people will probably get their money's worth here. So if you like intrigue, mystery and tragic love stories, you should like this series a lot!

I am Mary Queen of Scots,
and I have come for my throne.