Rations

Y/N's POV
Clem, Mitch, Violet, Louis, Glenn, Aasim, Willie, Mark and I all sat inside the bus, discussing our new guests; Ed, whos leg I chopped off, his wife Carol, who had her hair cut very short, and their daughter Sophia, who was the same age as AJ.

Mark: There isn't enough food to go around as it is.

Glenn: So what are you saying? We just kick them out?

Louis: No way. We are not kicking them out. They have a kid!

I looked out the window to see Sophia laying on the grass with AJ as they coloured in.

Y/N: We'll vote on it. Anyone who thinks they should go, raise you hand.

Only Mark raised his hand.

Y/N: Then it's decided. They stay.

Small Time Skip

Y/N: Hey.

I walked up to Clem, who was sorting the daily rations. She turned to face me. Her face brightened considerably.

Clem: Hey.

I looked over her shoulder.

Y/N: That's not a lot of food.

She looked back at the food and her face dropped.

Clem: I hate this. Having to decide who gets food and how much they get.

She bit her lower lip, which is something I've picked up on she does when she's stressed or anxious.

I wrapped her in a sideways hug.

Y/N: How about I do it today? Give you the day off.

She looked up at me with a pleading look.

Clem: Could you please?

I just smiled at her.

Y/N: Of course.

She gave me a kiss on the cheek.

Clem: Thanks Y/N, I owe you one.

She left me alone with the daily rations; half an apple, a box of cheese and crackers, a chocolate bar, and a box labeled "Grab a Snack."

I looked around at the crowd of hungry. I instantly knew who I was going to.

I walked over to AJ and Sophia, who were colouring in. I called AJ over.

Y/N: Hey, how's things with Sophia?

AJ: It's good. She's a really good drawer.

Y/N: Wow. Listen, did she tell you anything about her and her family before they met us?

AJ: She said we're the first people they've seen since the start. They've just been going from place to place looking for supplies, like us.

Y/N: The group has decided to let Sophia and her family stay with us. What do you think?

AJ: I like it. It's fun having Sophia around. Someone my own age I can play with.

Y/N: That's good. I'm glad you like it.

Just then, AJ's stomach growls.

Y/N: Good timing.

I took the cheese and crackers and handed them to AJ.

Y/N: Eat up, munchkin.

I pat AJ on the head as he runs over to Clem, while I sit down beside Sophia.

Y/N: Hi. I'm Y/N.

Sophia: Hi. My name's Sophia.

Y/N: That's a really nice name.