Chapter 8: Ginny, The Grangers and Revelations

As November made its rather cold journey toward December, on the Thursday of the second week into what had been a very cold month so far, Harry was eating lunch with Hermione and Neville when something Harry heard said, reminded him of Ginny Weasley. He knew she would be sitting at home in the Burrow feeling desperately lonely, and bored, she would be looking forward to starting Hogwarts. Harry remembered just how hard it had been on the poor girl being the youngest of seven, and being the only girl. None of her brothers were really interested in her or her company; Ron would shun her every time she tried to join in a conversation saying things like 'Ginny push off'.

Harry still vividly remembered how it felt to be lonely with no friends, after all those years alone the sad memories were still with him, and Ginny was about to face the worst thing that could happen to a first year girl. She would start Hogwarts only to find herself possessed by Voldemort; she had been seriously traumatised by his warped mind the last time. Nobody ever knew just what he did to her or how much she had to suffer at the hands of the evil sixteen year old Tom Riddle. Harry was trying to think of a way to save her having to go through it all this time, she had after all been his one and only girlfriend in his other life, he thought she deserved better than to start her school life as a victim of Voldemort.

Hermione found him deep in thought as she spoke to him, and he did not reply. "Harry, hello anybody home?" she asked prodding him in the ribs gently.

"Oh sorry love I was thinking of Ginny Weasley," Harry said without thinking.

"And just who might Ginny Weasley be?" Hermione demanded to know.

Recovering his thoughts quickly Harry answered Hermione's question, "Oh you won't know her, I don't even know her myself. All I know is she is Ron and the twins sister. She is apparently the youngest of seven, and she has six brothers who it appears don't let her join in with anything they do, and they rarely talk to her beyond saying hello. I know they live somewhere remote, I was remembering what it was like to be that lonely what it was like before I had you and Neville, it must be ten times worse for a girl who gets ignored all the time don't you think?" he told her.

"Gosh Harry, that must be awful, I mean I was lonely but I was never actually ignored, and wizarding families don't send their children to school before Hogwarts do they, she wont have anyone to play with or anything, so she must be desperately lonely. I think we should write to her ask her if she would like a couple of pen pals, what do you think?" Hermione said horrified at how it might be with six brothers all older, and who wanted nothing to do with you.

"I think that my dear sweet wife, is so kind and thoughtful. You really are a brilliant witch, I think we should write to her today, I can get Hedwig to take the letters and wait for any reply. You will of course have to help me a little as I have no idea what a ten or eleven year old girl would like to hear about." Harry answered; pen pals at school should at least give Ginny someone to talk too.

That evening as soon as they had finished their last class, Harry and Hermione sat in their quarters at the dining room table, and having decided to write to Ginny they both set about composing their letters; Harry made a good start with his but soon became stuck as to what he should write so he made it like a short introduction.

'Dear Miss Weasley,

My name is Harry, Harry Potter. I am a first year at Hogwarts, and I am on the house quidditch team with your twin brothers. I don't want you to think I am nosey or anything but I heard your brothers mention you, and when I mentioned you to my wife Hermione, and no I am not mad, I am a first year, and I do have a wife, anyway she suggested we write too you, and ask if you would like a pen pal. I think this is a brilliant idea, so I would like to know if you would have me as a pen or should that be quill pal?