7. first match

Micaiah
I was at work doing the usual, pricing things, putting up sale sign, and other stuff my dad had me doing. As for Jordan he was chilling behind the counter with me since he got off earlier than he normally does.

"You got your basketball stuff in the car?"

"I always do, but why?"

"A couple of people are going to be at the rec and I feel like taking their money", he stares straight ahead.

"So what made you start street hall hustling?"

"Footlocker wasn't providing a lot at the time I started so I was like why not make money off of my talent for the time being."

As of lately the two of us have been spending more time together and I can say that I enjoy it. We spend the night over at each other's house to the point where we are honorary kids to each other's parents. I kind of want him to ask me out but yet again I don't want to rush things with us. We kind of already do relationship stuff we just don't have the label.

"Oh ok ok sooooooo have you thought about going back into the nba or doing g league?"

"Yeah I've thought about it."

Jordan hasn't told me as to why he went undrafted but again I don't want to rush him into tell me. Soon my dad comes out from the back excited to see Jordan.

"How are you doing son?"

"I'm doing good and you sir?"

"I'm doing good as well thank you for asking...keeping Micaiah company up here?"

"Yeah I figured why not", he smiles.

"I keep telling her to what them kids call it nowadays....cuff you but she's playing around."

"No one is playing around dad."

"Mmmmmm that's what they all say."

He walks away to go rearrange the basketballs we on displays on one of the tables.

"You're dad is funny."

"I guess...but I don't want you to stand around pick up a price gun and help me price these tshirts", I giggle.

"How am I going to get paid for my work I don't have a job here."

I bring his head down closer to my height and whisper something in his ear. I saw his eyes get big and he immediately grabs the pricing gun and starts pricing the tshirts like crazy.

• • •

Lacing up my sneakers Jordan was scoping the completion while dribbling a ball in between his legs.

"What it's looking like?"

"Everybody is decent but not on our level. As long as we make threes we should be good. Also ima need you to drive and be aggressive in the paint more don't be scared of these big niggas out here because if they hurt you I'm dealing with them. Plus you got the height for it."

"Ok."

My whole family is ridiculously tall, my dad is standing at 6'5, Mason is 6'6, then the twins are 6'8 and me and my mom are 5'11. Jordan claims that is what he first noticed about me along with my game.

Once the game was over jordan does his thing and tries to persuade the guys to play two on twos half court.

"So you're saying I can get anybody in this gym right now to play with me."

"Yeah it's not like you going to win with whoever you get."

"Alright just remember you said that. How about we put some money in...two hundred from each player."

"Deal", they shake hands.

He pretends to scan everybody then turns around smiling and pointing at me.

"I'll take her."

"This finna be easy y'all might as well gives us the money right now."

"Don't be saying that when we whoop yo ass."

I stand in front of dude and he checks the ball in hella hard. I just shake it off and immediately pass to Jordan and he goes for a three. It goes in and I check the ball back in. This time dumb and dummer left the lane wide open and I go for the layup. I can tell that they starting to get frustrated. They was the one talking that shit earlier...my skills just speak for themselves.

Again checking the ball in Jordan tries to cross them up but the other guys is playing defense on him hard. He passes it to me and I shoot for a three before my defender gets in front of me and it goes in.

• • •

The guys places the four hundred dollars in my hand and I thank them telling them good game. I give Jordan his half and he tells me to keep it.

"Nah keep it you have us most of our point out there tonight."

"Thanks I'm probably just going to give it to my dad anyway to help with mom."

"How is she doing I know she had a doctors appointment earlier today?"

"You know how dad was happy at the store when he saw you...it's all to keep him distracted from what's happening Jordan it's getting bad and I don't know how to handle it. I can't lose my mom I just can't I wouldn't know how to function."

"Don't think like that everything is going to be fine alright you would still have your dad, your brothers, and me", he smiles.

I playfully push him off of me and we walk out of the rec with our hands intertwined in each other.