RD|1 - New Beginnings

Nine years later,

Nine years later,

Rushing to the bus stop, "Mommy, my legs are too small to match yours; you're going too fast." Ameri stressed as she tried to keep up with her mothers long strides.

"I know baby, but if we don't get to the bus stop in time we're going to miss the bus and if we miss the bus then mommy won't be able to buy you anymore chocolate." Aminatu said as she glanced down at her four year old daughter.

Seeing Ameri on the brink of tears, Aminatu paused in her steps and glanced at the bus stop where the bus was approaching. Knowing that they were still too far out, Aminatu cursed under her breath and knew that she was going to be late for her shift at the Cafe. "How about I call in and we go say hi to Ms. Cynthia?" Aminatu smiled at Ameri and watched as her eyes lit up.

"Can we get some breakfast on the way?" Ameri asked with hope in her eyes and Aminatu knew that she only had ten dollars in her pocket to spare until she collected her cheque later but how was she going to say no to the one person who gave her life meaning?

"Sure, we'll get you some pancakes." She told Ameri and picked her up before placing her on her hip and pressing her phone against her ear. "Bill, it's Aminatu. I'm sorry for the late notice but I won't be able to come in to work today." Aminatu sighed and told her manager.

Bill chuckled, "Aminatu, this is the tenth time that you're calling out to work and all of them have been non emergencies. I'm sorry but you can come and pick up your last cheque today and don't bother to return."

Feeling herself about to cry, "Please Bill, I need this job. I'll put in the extra hours but I can't get fired!" She cried.

Sighing on the other end of the phone, Bill wished he could've kept Aminatu because he knew her struggles of being a single mother and knew first hand how it was growing up in a single parent household but the decision wasn't up to him and he had no choice. "I can't Aminatu, if it were up to me; you know I'd keep you in a heartbeat but this one went to the big bosses."

Switching Ameri over to her next hip, Aminatu wiped away one of her fallen tears. "Thank you Bill. I'll be by to pick it up later." She sighed and hung up the phone.

"Are we still getting pancakes?" Ameri asked like she knew her mother energy had shifted completely.

"How about we just get some from Ms. Cynthia and make them ourselves? We can add chocolate chips to them as well." Aminatu smiled despite her heart breaking on not knowing how her and her child would survive the rest of the month.

"Are you sure you're not hungry Amina?" Ms. Cynthia asked while staring at Aminatu who was looking at Ameri while she watched Blues Clues on the television in the living room.

Shaking her head as tears welled up in her eyes, "I feel like such a failure. How can I provide for a child and sometimes I feel so guilty for having her and putting her in this predicament knowing that I could've prevented all of this."