Chapter 33

The Blue Moon Ball consists of three days.

The first day, everyone arrives and gets comfortable in the Royal Palace, along with the first ball.

The second day is where everyone talks about their pack problems and establishes pack relations.

The third day is the Challenge Day and the final ball.

I sit nervously in my chair as I fiddle with my hands.

For some reason, I had a feeling that I should bring the music box with me to the ball. I don't know what caused me to do so, but it's hidden in my dress.

Tonight, I'm wearing a long white lace-up strapless mermaid gown. The Omegas flit around me as they do my hair and makeup.

A younger Omega girl comes up to me and holds out a large diamond necklace. I shake my head. "No thank you."

The Omega suddenly looks a little nervous. "But the Alpha King wanted you-"

I roll my eyes. "I don't care what he says. I'm not wearing this. I'm not a trophy he can show off. If he has a problem, he can take it up with me. This is my decision, not his."

I give the Omega girl a smile and turn back to the mirror.

Most of my makeup is simple, only using a bit of concealer, eyeliner, blush, eye shadow, and lipstick. My hair is curled and pulled back using some bobby pins. No jewelry other than my choker and bracelet and no excess makeup.

Tonight, I'm representing the sirens. I can't be nervous and I can't mess up. I stand up and walk over to the door that leads out into the halls. I take another deep breath before I step outside.

Thankfully, no one's in the halls. The ball must've started already. As I walk to the ballroom in silence, I notice the Kappas' eyes on me. They bow their heads in respect as I move through the halls and I send them curt nods back.

Soon I reach the large double doors that I encountered two nights ago. Stationed at the doors are two Royal Kappas and another pack member, probably a Royal Elipson. All three of them bow to me and I send them a nod in return.

The two Kappas open the doors and the Elipson steps in. "Now presenting," he announces, "Harper Reynolds, Queen of the Sirens."

I step into the ballroom and take in all the shifters staring at me. I spot Calix in the middle of the room and I resist the urge to smile and shake my head.

I step down the stairs that lead out onto the floor and make my way over to the Alpha King.

He bows to me and I return the gesture by curtsying. Calix offers his arm to me and I take it, allowing him to lead me to our table.

A few minutes later, members of other packs start coming up to the table and talking with the Alpha King. A few of them make small talk with me, but mostly chose to ignore me.

Suddenly there's a shattering of glass and screams.

Calix bolts to his feet. "Get the queen out of here!" he roars.

As two Kappas grab my arms and try to take me away, I snarl, "I can protect myself!"

"Let me go," I seethe. They oblige and let go of my arms.

I jump on top of a table to get a better view of what's going on. I see a wolf in the middle of a crowd of shifters, trying to fight their way out of the ring that's been formed around them. I squint and make out the wolf's eyes.

Much to my astonishment, it's Aurabella who stands in the middle of the room.

I lift two fingers to my mouth and let out a piercing whistle. Dozens of heads snap to mine and out of those many, I see Aurabella's wolf look at me. She breaks out of the crowd and makes her way over to me, fighting off other wolves along the way.