Chapter 43

Two Months Later

"Shit!" I swear as I hold my head in my hands as I sit on the toilet.

My period always starts when there's a new moon, but this time, it wasn't there.

Someone knocks on the door and asks, "Are you in there, Harper?"

"Yeah," I reply, sitting up. "Did you bring what I asked for?"

"You mean the pregnancy tests you suddenly asked me for?"

"Yes."

"Girl, what did you and Calix do that night?"

"Aura, you already know. Just give me the damn tests."

"Fine, fine." I hear the box open and a few moments later, three tests slide under the door.

When I come out, Aurabella asks, "Well? Are you positive?"

I shake my head. "I don't know yet. The test said to wait fifteen minutes before checking again."

Aurabella grins as we walk over to the living room. "So you and Calix fucked?"

I sigh and my face grows slightly warm. "Yes."

"I don't know what you're worried about then," Aurabella says. "Unless, of course, there was a full moon."

I freeze. "What's a full moon got to do with this?"

Aura sighs. "Sirens are sterile to everyone but their mate. And even then, sirens can't get pregnant with their mate unless they do it during the night of a full moon."

"Oh shit," I groan. "Yeah, I think there was a full moon that night."

Aurabella snickers. "Oh yeah. Screw those tests. You're definitely pregnant."

"You're not helping," I mutter.

"I know."

Fifteen minutes later, Aura says, "Let's check the tests."

I silently pray to the Moon Goddess and ask Aurabella to look at them.

"So, what do they say?" I ask.

Aurabella sighs and hands me the tests. "See for yourself."

On every single one of them, I see double lines. I groan. "You've got to be kidding me."

"I wish I was, but the box says there's no false positives, only false negatives."

"I can't believe this. I'm going to be a mother!" I groan. "I'm not even mated."

"No, but you will be," Aura says with a wink. "And I call dibs on being the moonmother."

"Aura, I'm not going to force Calix into a marriage because I'm pregnant."

"No, but you will have to tell him eventually."

I wince. I have no idea how he'll react.

Hopefully his reaction won't be too bad.

Three weeks later, I stand at the door to his office and knock.

"Come in."

When I step in, Calix looks up and he's rather surprised. "Harper. I didn't expect you to come in today. What brings you here?"