Chapter 47

The next morning, I'm in the kitchen making breakfast for Calix and I. 

As I flip the eggs, I hear the metal bed creak and groan, followed by heavy footsteps hitting the floor. 

Calix comes into the kitchen and kisses my cheek before saying, "Good morning."

"Morning," I reply. "Your footsteps are really loud."

"Thanks. What's for breakfast?" he asks as he takes a seat at the island. 

"Eggs, sausage, hashbrowns, and raspberries."

"Sounds delicious."

A couple minutes later, I set two plates down on the countertop and join Calix at the island. His portion is noticably larger than mine.

After a few bites of food, Calix asks, "Should I go pick up the kids?"

I shake my head and swallow my food. "Aurabella's bringing them over around ten. Do you have any meetings today?"

Calix smiles. "Nope. I made sure my schedule was clear so I could spend time with you and the kids today."

I smile back. "Thank you. I'm sure they'll appreciate it."

Then Calix's smile fades and the mood turns serious. "We do need to talk about what happened last night, though."

I groan and stretch my sore legs. "Yeah, we do."

"So I take it that last night meant you recognized and accepted me as your mate?"

"Pretty much."

"Pretty much?"

I sigh. "Yes, I recognized and accepted you as my mate."

Calix grins and kisses me. When he pulls away, he says, "I think you just made me the happiest man on the planet."

I smile and go back to eating my breakfast. 

A couple minutes later, Calix speaks up again. "Since you've accepted me, there's another thing we need to talk about."

I look up and meet his eyes. "What?" I ask.

He sighs. "Before I have the Mating Ceremony with you, I need to court you properly. It's been a tradition among previous kings to court their mate before mating with them "

"Okay."

"This requires an official announcement to the public that we're mates and recognize the bond. It's also common for the incoming Luna Queen to take a Royal Tour and visit all the packs to establish relationships with them. You will also be expected to learn royal ettiquite and take lessons from teachers on diplomacy."

I nod. I expected that from him. "Okay."

"Okay?" Calix asks, a trace of concern in his voice. "Are you sure you're okay with this?"

"I'm okay with this," I tell him seriously. "I expected it, anyway."

Calix smiles and kisses me again. "I'm glad you understand."

"I'm glad you explained it to me."

We both smile at each other until I look to the wall to see the the time.

"Aurabella should be here in a couple minutes," I say, getting up and taking both our plates. 

Calix takes the plates from me. "I've got the plates. You should go clean yourself up."

I nod and place a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you."

When I get to the bathroom, I realize what Calix meant. I look like a mess, and knowing Aurabella, she'd make some kind of crude joke out of my appearance.